Burning memcal help please

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
mpdaff
cars: VS 5l
80 series Landcruiser with VT HSV 195kw engine

Burning memcal help please

Post by mpdaff »

Hi All, I'm hoping for some help. I am having trouble burning my tune to a Winbond W27C5 EEPROM. I have also tried an original VR V8 Memcal after erasing it & got the same result.
I have saved the BIN via Tuner Pro. The Bin shows as a 32KB file.
I have followed the Guide to Burning EEPROMS. Bin Stacking & Verifying Data.
I have stacked the Bin using Tuner Pro & entered the Bin Size as 32KB, the Chip Size as 64KB & Block size as 32KB.
I have then burnt the stacked BIN to both of the memcals.
I have verified the Read File against the Original File.
The only difference is that the memcals both show as having a larger file, which I believe is due to the stacking ... is this correct?
When I try either memcal in the car the engine idles at about 1500rpm & the check engine light stays on.
Reinstall the NVRAM & all is perfect.
I have no doubt it is something I am doing wrong, however I just cannot put my finger on it.
I am hoping someone has an opportunity to assist & point me in the right direction please.
Thanks, Mike
j_ds_au

Re: Burning memcal help please

Post by j_ds_au »

A W27C512 is a 64KB (512Kb) EEPROM, whereas a VR V8 memcal is (from what I've read) a 32KB (256Kb) EPROM. So a stacked 32KB+32KB=64KB bin is required to program a W27C512, whereas a non-stacked 32KB bin is appropriate for a VR V8 memcal.

A 32KB bin should be exactly 32768 bytes, while a 32KB+32KB=64KB bin should be exactly 65536 bytes.

So check the bin sizes are as expected, and choose stacked vs. non-stacked as above.

After programming, if your programmer verifies the (E)EPROM matches the bin file, then the programming went OK, and you instead have a "garbage in -> garbage out" problem. Maybe the saving via Tuner Pro doesn't work as expected (how did the bin get loaded into Tuner Pro in the first place?).

Also, you can stack from the command prompt using this command (don't add any extra spaces) :
copy /b unstacked.bin+unstacked.bin stacked.bin

That's all I can advise.

Joe.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Hi Mike,
Have you installed all the latest Software and USB Driver 3.0 for your GQ 4x4:

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/m ... wnload.asp
oops, I nearly gave a link to a Nissan 4WD lol.

The stock VR memcal (manual) should be 256kb, and the auto is 512kb. If manual (and 256kb), you would not need to stack the bin. If 512kb then stack your 32kb bin, as you have done for the EEPROM W27C512.

Did you UV erase the stock memcal.
Ensure the chips are completely blank.

If you still have problems, you may need to partially close the ZIF socket while 'dragging' the chip from side to side. Apply just enough force on the lever to create the resistance.
mpdaff

Post by mpdaff »

Thanks guys. Greatly appreciate your input.
Will check later tonight after work.
In regards to saving the BIN, all I did was open Tuner Pro & then saved the bin to a folder.
Is this correct, or did I make an error here?
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Yes, you are right:
Attachments
savedbythe....jpg
savedbythe....jpg (77.91 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Found this just in case, saves a lot of what if's and maybe's: (good stuff starts @ 3:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUDP1XTmF9A
This might help with the 'other' question...
drawablank.jpg
drawablank.jpg (84.77 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

If you used the download to emulator button to get the tune into tunerpro you won't get the whole tune off the ecu and it will go limp home mode read the nvram split the tune out and then stack that and burn iy
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
mpdaff

Post by mpdaff »

Thank you all for your responses, help & guidance.
I think you have nailed it as I am certain I used the download to emulator button to get the tune into tunerpro.
Which I know I should not have, but I completely forgot that.
I have just walked in the door from work & cannot tell you all how relieved I am to have read your responses & how appreciative I am of you taking the time to assist me.
I will try to burn the memcal again tonight if time permits & will let you know how it goes. However, I am confident that you have identified my error. Again a big thank you to each of you.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Thanks for reporting back. Always good to get a reply.
Keen to hear how you progress. :thumbup:
mpdaff

Post by mpdaff »

update - it is fixed!!
Pretty confident it was all a user error :oops:
Having said that I have learned a lot in the last couple of days & really tested my patience..
If you have read through the above you will have noted my errors along the way & will note the advice given. I am grateful to all who assisted.
The original BIN that I saved the other day via the OSE plugin was 64Kb.
I split it & stacked & saved to memcal, but all entries were 0.
I tried twice more & then nearly gave up.
Decided to start again & sucked the BIN out again with the OSE plugin.
This time the BIN File was 32Kb... I do not understand why... however it could be to do with the fact the first time the engine was running. This time the ignition was on, but engine not running???
Anyway, stacked the 32KB & saved to the memcal.
All checks were good.
Installed & she works!!
Again, many thanks to all who assisted. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help & patience.