Can't connect to 808 via USB comms board

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
L67PSI
cars: L67 VT Calais

Can't connect to 808 via USB comms board

Post by L67PSI »

Hi All,

I've got a modded '808 with USB Comms and NVRAM board. I've had it for 8-9 years and has worked fine. I went to use it last week and now it won't connect via USB. I tried another laptop and another usb cable, but still no good. Next I soldered the wires from the usb board to another 808 ecu, and still no go.

Tuner Pro won't connect and I get an error when using the OSE flashtool, with the correct settings. The usb board powers up, as does the NVRAM. With a factory memcal installed it won't communicate either.

Any suggestions? I was thinking the USB board is faulty.
L67PSI

Re: Can't connect to 808 via USB comms board

Post by L67PSI »

USB.jpg
USB.jpg (107.19 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
In Car.jpg
In Car.jpg (139.69 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Does the car run on the NVRAM?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

The comms gets power from the laptop, this is so you don't have to go searching for the port every time you connect. That looks to be working.
Does the NVRAM light go out straight after 'key off'?
It should remain on for a couple of seconds.
If off immediately, then there is no code on the ECU.
You have a 'delicately poised' set-up there, make sure you don't zap anything lol.
L67PSI

Post by L67PSI »

vlad01 wrote:Does the car run on the NVRAM?
Yes, the car starts and runs
L67PSI

Post by L67PSI »

'quipt4it wrote:The comms gets power from the laptop, this is so you don't have to go searching for the port every time you connect. That looks to be working.
Does the NVRAM light go out straight after 'key off'?
It should remain on for a couple of seconds.
If off immediately, then there is no code on the ECU.
You have a 'delicately poised' set-up there, make sure you don't zap anything lol.
I will check to see if the NVRAM light goes out after key off.

The usb board and NVRAM were always in the factory casing. Only removed to re-solder onto another board for testing purposes. Yes, I'm being careful not to short anything out.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

yes, 8-9 years is long enough for the nvram battery to have gone flat. they are supposed to last 10 years, but some of them go flat 1-2 years earlier. you have the original memcal there so it could be running in limp mode home without the computer being running to be able to talk back to the laptop. if the light goes off straight away when you key off this is the likely cause. if it takes a couple of seconds then its probably running normally and its time to look at something else.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

If it's running normally, ie and not in LHM (limp home mode), then all connections etc should be OK.
Maybe suspect cable or earth.
L67PSI

Post by L67PSI »

antus wrote:yes, 8-9 years is long enough for the nvram battery to have gone flat. they are supposed to last 10 years, but some of them go flat 1-2 years earlier. you have the original memcal there so it could be running in limp mode home without the computer being running to be able to talk back to the laptop. if the light goes off straight away when you key off this is the likely cause. if it takes a couple of seconds then its probably running normally and its time to look at something else.
I've just gone to check, and yes the NVRAM blue led goes out instantly when the key is switched off. So as Antus said the internal battery is probably flat.

So, where can I get a new genuine Dallas DS1245Y? My existing one is rates as 70IND+
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396