Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
jamesried

Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

Post by jamesried »

I can BDM or lift the main flash chip and fix bricked ones, etc, but I have a couple with a P0601 code for corruption in the EEPROM. Not sure where to go from here, nothing obvious sticks out. I know it's repairable from old ls1tech posts and have sent some messages on there. I don't mind paying for information on how to do it or where to look.
20220524_213514.jpg
20220524_213440.jpg
Gampy

Re: Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

Post by Gampy »

Not sure I understand the question ... Are you trying to find new replacement chips or the location of the chip on the above PCM.

The Flash chip location on the above PCM is the far left on the upper picture.
The chip that says Intel Flash 16236995 AB28F400BX ... It's a 512k chip, the same chip that is used in the P01.

I have no idea where they can be purchased or if they are even available in this new world.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
jamesried

Post by jamesried »

Gampy wrote:Not sure I understand the question ... Are you trying to find new replacement chips or the location of the chip on the above PCM.

The Flash chip location on the above PCM is the far left on the upper picture.
The chip that says Intel Flash 16236995 AB28F400BX ... It's a 512k chip, the same chip that is used in the P01.

I have no idea where they can be purchased or if they are even available in this new world.
On this ECU there's that flash chip, I'm familiar with it and recovering bricked flashes on that.

There's a second EEPROM/flash somewhere that has the VIN, serial number, VATS data, etc on it and a bad flash can cause it to corrupt as well giving you basically a useless expensive (but crappy) PCM. I know people have recovered that before, just curious if anyone knows where it's located or a way to access it etc so I can fix these P0601 code bricked PCMs.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Incorrect!

The chip has 7 sectors ...

Sector 0 is boot code
Sector 1 is Parameter data
Sector 2 is Parameter data
Sector 3 is Calibration data
Sector 4 is Operating System
Sector 5 is Operating System
Sector 6 is Operating System

All the mentioned data is stored in one or the other Parameter Sectors.

Edit;
That error P0601, is a Check Sum failure code as far as I know ...
I suggest writing an original proper complete file to it to resolve your problem!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
jamesried

Post by jamesried »

Gampy wrote:Incorrect!

The chip has 7 sectors ...

Sector 0 is boot code
Sector 1 is Parameter data
Sector 2 is Parameter data
Sector 3 is Calibration data
Sector 4 is Operating System
Sector 5 is Operating System
Sector 6 is Operating System

All the mentioned data is stored in one or the other Parameter Sectors.

Edit;
That error P0601, is a Check Sum failure error code as far as I know ...
I suggest writing an original proper complete file to it to resolve your problem!
Whatever that chip has, this data is not stored in it on this PCM. There's definitely a second storage area outside the one flash chip.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

You got it buddy, you know more about it then I ... :thumbup:

-Enjoy

jamesried

Post by jamesried »

Since you don't seem to believe me, here's a binary pulled off one with the P0601 code via BDM. Importing this into HPtuners doesn't show any checksum errors, etc.

I messaged a few people on ls1tech, though maybe they're just regurgitating information they read. Who knows if i'll get a reply given how old some of the threads are. wait4me seems to be the only one personally repairing them in these circumstances.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnost ... epair.html
Attachments
as-found.bin
(512 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

Looking at your "as-found.bin" you are missing valuable data usually found in blocks 4000 hex or 6000 hex which is data normally found in P01/P59 PCM's. Maybe this is normal for the 98 LS1 PCMs.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

It's not that I don't believe you, it's that it seems you know more about that unit then I ...

I know the chip, I don't know the OS!
I did state the OS layout, that was a guess based on the later units, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, been there done that and will be again!

As kojab points out, the 'Parameter' data as it's typically called is missing, that is where the later units store the data you mention.

jamesried

Post by jamesried »

One file I exported from HPtuners has stuff 4000-4200 or so, but most seem to be blank there. I can't find any files from when I was pulling the chips and reading them directly to see if they had anything there, so idk. I'll hook up the BDM again and dump this file with stuff in that range on it and see if that code clears, but I'm not super optimistic. Pretty weird deal, but i'll give it a try and test reading a good one or two out and see if they have any data there.