vats eeprom only valid in the bcm to start the car?

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
DethRattles
cars: 2004 Grand am gt

vats eeprom only valid in the bcm to start the car?

Post by DethRattles »

. I have a question that I’m hoping someone can solve.. if I switch out the BCM will turning off vats allow the car to start? This is 2004 Grand Am GT. I read that some BCM’s can only be reprogrammed if their virgin ones and or the only way is take the Eeprom chip off and program it that way. I’m unsure if the VAT system is solely contained inside this BCM because I have two PCMS my old one and the one that’s in the car.
My old BCM took crap on me so the car wouldn't start. So I had to get the matching PCM out of the junk yard and the guy told me it was from a GT but I just found out it’s from an SE and and I really want to use my GT BCM but this BCM. It's really holding me back since the car won’t start with this new BCM in it if my original pcm is in it. My other option is to change the vin on my old pcm and that should fix everything and turn off vats/passlock??? Or I could swap the eeprom chips on my old bcm to the new(scary tho)
04colyZQ8
cars: 2004 Colorado 4.8L swap
86/90 Jimmy 6.5L diesel swap
80 Chevrolet Silverado TBI swap
88dodge W100 LPG conversion

Re: vats eeprom only valid in the bcm to start the car?

Post by 04colyZQ8 »

I doubt the vin change will work, that’s not typically how vats works, is more like a password is shared.

Can you not do a factory vats learn? Isn’t that a simple procedure with a tech 2? I can’t see a 2004 having a very complex system.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I think these posts from DethRattles got sorted. In one of them he was able to get obd-xpro and re-write his P04, and after a bit of discussion between members we found the right settings to disable vats in the PCM which solved his problem. We ended up with a number of unanswered threads like this one about the same topic, though.

See result here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8176&p=122197#p122197
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
04colyZQ8
cars: 2004 Colorado 4.8L swap
86/90 Jimmy 6.5L diesel swap
80 Chevrolet Silverado TBI swap
88dodge W100 LPG conversion

Post by 04colyZQ8 »

Thanks antus we can always rely on you to keep track of things:)