Need to get my VR V8 tuned.. where to go? or who is keen? :P

Want a chip to suit your application? Ask here. Include as much detail in your request as possible.
iju58u
cars: MY99 wrx
1994 calais 5lt 5spd

Need to get my VR V8 tuned.. where to go? or who is keen? :P

Post by iju58u »

Hey guys,

I've got a VR V8 running OSE12P (i think?), Its been running alright since I've had it, but blew a headgasket 2 weeks ago so thought while it was apart i'd throw a cam in it.
Now it doesn't run pretty much at all (map readings etc are just way off i guess), so I really need to get it tuned before I can drive it.
I've had abit of a play with it but honestly think i'm just gonna make it worse. My previous cars had a Microtech and Nistune software and that was pretty straightforward, this is abit more involved though..
I tried putting a tune in that was done for another car with same cam etc, it idles alright once i changed injector setting but isn't suitable fo driving..
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... 286#p12688 it was the tune for the HZ i tried.

My mods are:
VR 304, rebuilt with ACL race series .020" over flat-tops, crane 286 cam, blue-top injectors, torque power dual plane manifold, Holley throttlebody, pacemakers into twin cats then single 3" exhaust, T5 manual.

I really need some help with it as its not drivable at the moment and I can't sort it out myself :( Had issues trying to get the data tracing working yesterday but got that sorted eventually but yeh still can't seem to have any positve changes...

I'm in Nowra NSW which is 2hrs sth of Sydney, does anyone know any tuners that could do a proper tune?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks,

Dave
Last edited by iju58u on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayme

Re: Need to get my VR V8 tuned.. where to go? or who is keen

Post by Jayme »

yeah the manifold makes a big differerence, thats why my HZ tune doesnt work well, its tuned for bananas, oh and my timign is thru the roof as its for low compression, you willneed timing a lot lower than my hz tune. im 8 hours north of sydney :P bit out of reach, there are a few other members that live in sydney, see if any of them pipe up.
iju58u
1994 calais 5lt 5spd

Post by iju58u »

geez that was a quick reply!
Yeh I might have a go at pulling some timing out and see how it goes.. I'm pretty sure the car was basically just running on the std OSE12P tune before just with an injector change done, but now with the cam it doesnt run very well lol.. thought i'd try the HZ tune as it was there :P Plus it ran all over the place with AFR's on that tune, def gotta get something done to suit the car I know, jus not sure where to go or who to talk to..
Really shoulda left it how it was, this is just my daily driver so I shouln't be spending the $$ on it, ah well cant help myself.
Cheers

Dave
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah timings not going to help your current problem, just a warning against flattening it with that high spark or it will ping. your problem is the VE map is affected a lot by going from bananas to dual plane manifold, so needs to have wideband hooked up and VE table remapped. it should go hard when its tuned.
iju58u
1994 calais 5lt 5spd

Post by iju58u »

The cars got a wideband gauge under the head unit and its wired into the computer so it comes up in TunerPro.
Yeh hopefully it'll go well when tuned, I might even go see a local guy thats got a dyno see if he's had any experience with tunerpro
Would I be better off putting the tune it had before back in (before the cam) and modding that or use the tune from the HZ you did?
Cheers!
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

hard to say..... whichever one runs better.... so does the tunerpro wideband match the actual wideband display? can you get some logs of it running / revving and maybe attempting to drive and upload them. im sure we can help you get it running better, that way you might be able to drive to the dyno.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

this engine sounds very similar to my mates vs 304 we did .... i might have a ve table and spark table and stuff that can work ... post up your $12P bin file and i'll have a fiddle and see if i can make the vs 304 stuff fit it!

only real difference is my mates was an auto (not an issue) and his had 30lb injectors in it.
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

Jayme wrote: im 8 hours north of sydney :P bit out of reach, there are a few other members that live in sydney, see if any of them pipe up.
I am in Sydney if you can't sort it. Mind you your in good hands on this forum.

Cheers
Dick
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

dick will sort you out
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
iju58u
1994 calais 5lt 5spd

Post by iju58u »

seeing as i'm a newbie and probably have stuipid questions and a general lack of understanding tunerpro I always get alot of help from everyone here, its great :) Thanks guys!!
I just got back from talking to a local place that has a dyno, they've done a few 304's now but with kalmaker, that would mean ditching this modified ecu and going back to a std one right? Might be better off getting it sorted with what it has :)
I might put the original tune back into it as it was running alright before the cam change. The other major difference was the timing chain pulley/cog on the crank was set to Advance (which is ~8deg adv) with the original cam, when I reassembled it I put it back to TDC.
If I can get it running and go for a drive on that tune I'll do a log but I don't think I have the right file for getting all the gauges? I only had the message6 i think it was?? can't remember its been months since I played with it :(
Thanks for all the help though! :D

Dave