Captiva Charging System

For non EFI mechanical discussion

Captiva Charging System

Postby brindo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm

So does anyone have the misfortune of having any experience with Holden Captiva charging systems?

Ours is a 2012 diesel, and the battery light came on the other day when the wife was driving. Light had gone out by the time I got to it a week later, but it only had 11.6 volts across the battery. Did a check with the multimeter earthed on the engine block and it was 13.7 volts. Which is strange as the main battery earth to the engine block must be OK as its starts fine.

Anyone have any experience with how long the alternators in these things are good for? It doesn't even have 100000 kms on it yet.

Re: Captiva Charging System

Postby Biggvl » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:50 pm

Blown battery fuse??? What you're describing doesn't make sense...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...

Postby brindo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:04 pm

No it doesn't make sense at all.
I actually ran a temporary earth wire to the block and the voltage came up. This does not make sense either. I did check the resistance of the earth lead to the engine block and it was 0.1 ohms.

But I fitted one of those cheap cigarette volt meters and have been watching the voltage around town. Its generally between the 13 to 14 volts depending on the air cond. But then today, I noticed it drop down to 12.5 volts so was wondering if the alternator is on its way out to cost me some more money.

Postby Charlescrown » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:37 am

Your much better off doing a voltage drop test on the earth side when cranking to find the real resistance.

Return to Engine/Transmision Mechanical