253 V8 carby selection

For non EFI mechanical discussion
Gampy

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by Gampy »

I personally would not recommend buying a FleaBay carburetor unless you can put hands on it and know exactly what failures to look for, that could be a costly mistake.

Unless you need the core and any other hook up items.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Macca97
cars: hj ute, hz wagon, copious amounts of random half started side projects

Post by Macca97 »

308 rochester will work, or id get an adaptor and run a 500 edelbrock
why have one 202, when you can have 12 and counting, 30+ car graveyard just for fun aswell
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Whatever you decide, when you get it running do a plug check to ensure it's not lean.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

The ebay carb will probably need the throttle shafts replaced as well, the manufactured is the better way to go. If you contact them, I think they will make the changes for a 253.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Madmatt2006
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

brindo wrote:Not sure on the ebay one. Could be the right one. But be prepared to put money into it though. Might just need a kit but its an unknown really. Could you look at it before buying?

If buying a reman carb, at least you know the secondary air valve diaphragm is good and the throttle plate wont be warped. A Rochester for a blue motor 308 would be fine too. I thought it was just the secondary metering rods and the primary jets that were different over the 253. If you have a mild cam, it could be a better start.

From the photos on the Hume website, the idle screws have also been uncovered so that will save you some work.

But what else do you need? Do you have the air cleaner, throttle cable bracket, auto choke piping etc?
Thanks for the great advice. I will get a new one a second hand one sound like to much work, I do need air cleaner I have a donner VH that's a 6 cylinder not sure if throttle cable will fit? I've almost finished welding in the front off the donner VH onto the good VH. So going to respray engine bay and front radiator support panel then I wanted to drop the engine in and get it running (probably hot wire it) it's been sitting for 2 years and only turned by hand. I have not transferred the wiring from the donner car yet because I need to do a full respray inside and out.

So this is the exact one I need? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-253- ... xyPepRkCy8
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Looks like the correct one.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

v6bucket wrote:Looks like the correct one.
Going to get that one soon then, I just need to wait for some ebay stuff to sell :thumbup:
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Guy's just purchased the carby :thumbup: I've been checking over the engine before I remove rocker covers, inlet manifold and sump for inspection. What goes next to the carby see picture there is a whole for some thing :?
20200229_173451[1].jpg
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if your referring to the fitting at the bottom of the pic that is the EGR valve. (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Holden202T wrote:if your referring to the fitting at the bottom of the pic that is the EGR valve. (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)

Yes I was referring to that :thumbup: I see you can get a blanking plate for it, do you need that for a roadworthy on a manual?

these ones https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EGR-Blankin ... %7Ciid%3A1

I took the rocker covers off the engine is surprisingly clean so far :D
20200301_102940.jpg
20200301_103015.jpg