T5 shifter?

For non EFI mechanical discussion
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by immortality »

Funny thing is the V6 engine, especially the early VN's had a lot of engine vibration/harmonics that transmits through the the transmission/shifter. Light stuff tends to vibrate, where as extra mass would help to dampen those type of vibs.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

There is also that big weight bolted to the extension housing for the same reason.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yep and the clutch fork too, I filed the slot in the bell housing to stop the clutch fork hitting it.

At about 2200rpm it was bad enough that the rear vision mirror would vibrate. Tried new mounts, no difference, got rid of the balance shaft without greatly increasing the problem, fitted a new Powerbond race spec balancer and things improved and one vibration at a particular rpm was all but gone........
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:Yep and the clutch fork too, I filed the slot in the bell housing to stop the clutch fork hitting it.

At about 2200rpm it was bad enough that the rear vision mirror would vibrate. Tried new mounts, no difference, got rid of the balance shaft without greatly increasing the problem, fitted a new Powerbond race spec balancer and things improved and one vibration at a particular rpm was all but gone........

yeah thats just compression vibration, 1st order. Inherent of all V6 engines. I love it though. It feels like driving a car not a lounge suite.

I don't like 2nd order vibration though, lucky V6 and cross plane v8 don't get it, only inline 4 and 6 get its and it feels awful, the later to much lesser degree.

1st order is like a sine wave 2nd is more like a triangular wave. Very buzzy and sharp feeling.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I still say my VN V6 T5 was the most fun car to drive (that I have owned), my Senator may have more grunt but the automatic transmissions ruin them in my opinion.

The old girl is still parked up out the back, just need to find a nice VK chassis to transfer the entire drive line into, add super or turbo charger, some NOS and it'll be good to go..... :D

Looking forward to abusing that T5 box some more :)
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

I bought & fitted the Billet Products T5 short shift shifter. Quality is great, once the stops were set I have never had any issues or problems with it. Bought it off ebay some time ago for $250.

I remember I needed another stop plate for some reason (think the guy selling it on ebay lost one or something). Took some time to get through to the guy at Billet Products, as messages on the site went nowhere. Think I found a phone number to call. The guy said they had trouble with their name & had to add Products behind the Billet name. He looked after me even though I didn't buy the shifter from him. Even sent a new rubber boot along with the stop plates & screw.

So thumbs up from me for the Billet Products T5 shifters.

Cheers
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

I see they now are called Pro Billet Products.

The T5 shifter is $440 AUD.
www.probilletproducts.com.au

Cheers
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Before I sent my box in today I had a look at how the pattern plate works as that is the stop plate built into the T5. On this particular box 2 and 4 positively stopped the selectors well before the syncros or forks loaded up. Mind you this shift pattern/detent? plate and selector is harden steel and has 0 give no matter how hard to belt it.

However on 1, 3 and 5, it fell short by about 0.2mm, just ever so slightly loading the syncros. Really this will be no probs and if it remains like this after is complete that be great as 2 and 4 are the gears I need to be protected as they are the only ones I ever shift quick. 5th is never used in this manner, neither is 1st and 3 is rarely shifted into quickly as its well beyond the speeds I accelerate to.

I guess the nice thing about the billet one is the stop plate covers the whole row of gears not just 3/4 and the others somewhat vaguely, after all the shaft is round being stopped by a small round grub screw on all the other shifters on the market.

honestly after seeing how the T5 shift works internally I'm not even going to worry about the stops. If they are there, thats bonus but if its its too fiddly to setup then I wont use them.

anyway, see what my shifter looks like lol.

vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

OZ38 wrote:I see they now are called Pro Billet Products.

The T5 shifter is $440 AUD.
http://www.probilletproducts.com.au

Cheers
Thats weird. On their home page its 390 but same page under shifters is 440.

440 is very steep for a shifter considering my whole box will only be bit over 1k for complete overhaul.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Lots of machining/time involved makes them an expensive item.

To be honest if you're happy with the feel and throw of the factory shifter just re-bush that, an expensive shifter would be nicer but there are probably better things you could spend that money on. Like many things Commodore they get a bad reputation simply because the cars have done so many kms without any maintenance and they're worn out.