vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

big boys T5 options for the V6.

Post by vlad01 »

Im sure everyone has heard about Gforce transmission in the US.

I emailed them about options for a strong T5 for the V6 and they got this guy to reply back.

pretty awesome knowing there is a good option available not just limited to PPG straight cut gear set. The Gforce are rated higher torque than the PPG set as the PPG set is based on stock V6 T5 rations and dimensions but the Gforce is based on big v8 powered US cars and then made for V6. Also sports close ratios throughout.

here is the email.

"Vlad

Your email has come through to us at G-Force Australia.

Yes we have sold numerous G-Force Upgraded T5 transmissions, going into V6 Commodores.

G-Force USA do not make an input shaft long enough, so to make it all work we supply a bell-housing to suit or you can purchase direct from The Rod Shop in Castlemaine, Victoria.

The G-Force kit includes a 26 spline input shaft, upgraded mainshaft and a close ratio gear-set including 5th gear.

The ratios are:

1st 2.42

2nd 1.55

3rd 1.22

4th 1.00

5th 0.90

· All the gears are 3mm-4mm wider & of a larger tooth design. (slightly helical to reduce noise)

· The mainshaft is upgraded to accept 450>500ft/lbs torque.

· We add a billet support for the layshaft rear bearing, replacing a thin pressed steel support which distorts and/or collapses easily.

· The maincase requires machining to accommodate a larger mainshaft bearing.

· In Australia we only sell the kit fully assembled in the transmission you supply. We do have machined/modified cases in-stock on an exchange basis.

· The cost of the complete transmission, ready to bolt in is $5700 inc GST.

[inc: full bearing set, carbon fibre synchros, small parts overhaul kit, G-Force gear-set, 26spl input shaft, HD mainshaft, 5th gear-set, seals)

The G-force ratios and the strength of the gears make for a very nice spirited driving experience.

I hope to hear back from you.

Regards

Bruce Tyson

03 9544-3323

Tytech Racing Services / G-Force Aust

1/6 Coora Road. Oakleigh South. VIC. 3167"
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
ejukated

Re: big boys T5 options for the V6.

Post by ejukated »

Good to know!

So they will only sell the parts as part of a build into your casing
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I guess so?

I have replied back asking how the custom bell housing and shorter input effects the position of the box in the car, like shifter alignment gearbox mount etc...
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

I've never really considered the T5 to be a suitable box for a V8 but stuff like this is good for race categories with restrictions, maybe not so great for the originality freaks if the box has to be moved and bell housing changed. If you're chasing outright performance its pointless as you can get a T56 Magnum or TKO600 cheaper (especially if you have to do the bell housing as well).

I would imagine that they are supplying the input shaft to suit a standard GM bell housing length of 6.3"
https://summitracing.custhelp.com/app/a ... dimensions

Not sure what the V6 ones are but they are very long - I have an input shaft length of 9.5" listed but not sure where that measures to
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah the v6 are 9.5. T5 shafts can get as long as 10" for cobra.

T5 is great if you want to keep it simple. I have looked at T56 and TKO and both those options require a lot more work and misc conversion parts to make it work. All is all if you consider a new box and conversion those end up costing more and more work to fit than a T5 ungraded to the same power handling specs.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

That's the problem if you have to change bell housing though, you're basically doing a conversion to make the T5 fit again - clutch release is likely to be an issue, cross member needs modifying, longer drive shaft, shifter mods etc. None of that's hard but it costs just as much to keep the T5 as swap to something better. Shame they can't make it with the right length shaft for you but then that would reduce the capability a bit too.

No way is any T5 ever going to handle as much torque as a T56 Magnum or TKO600, but that is getting a bit carried away for a V6 :-)
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah shorter bell housing, so you need a longer tailshaft too.... it moves the whole box, so everything behind the bellhousing needs to be redone.

ive seen a T56 in a turbo v6... its not that much work and works really nice.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Just t-56 it mate, look in to the future as well, if you damage or something fails in the t5 it's going to cost plenty to fix it again, if you blow the t-56 there everywhere and cheaper ! As you say pay once and cry once :)
Xnke

Post by Xnke »

Just to update this thread for availability's sake, you can also get an "A-5" T5 upgrade from Astro Performance in Florida USA, for 1600$ US. "500HP/500ft-lbs" claimed, and I have seen them pounded on at the drags in 3400lb cars for years without damage.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yes you can, but none will fit the V6 due to the input shaft being too short, no one willing to custom manufacture them and last option of friction welding will run costs up into 10s of $1000 for input shaft alone.

And lastly moving the box forward opens a new can of worms for eg. having your shiftier under the A/C evaporator. All good in a race car as you can cut the tunnel and dog leg the shifter to a more comfortable position, impossible in a road car because you have a dash and stuff.

Only drop in and v6 specific T5 upgrade is the PPG straight cut 1-4 set with optional 5th. Rated at 450Hp and coupled with Astro Performance main shaft should push it to a higher rating, maybe 500hp at a guess?