304 intake manifold swap.

For non EFI mechanical discussion
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: 304 intake manifold swap.

Post by immortality »

Has anybody ever bend the 5/16 hard fuel lines where they come up the firewall and then point out toward the front of the car?

I'm thinking if I bend them 90° so they face along the firewall towards the passenger side it might make things a lot easier.

edit:

If the fuel lines face along the fire wall than bending the trans dip stick tube won't foul on them and finishing of the fuel system would be easier too.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

immortality wrote:Image
Isn't the bottom hole there suitable for the PCV ?
immortality

Post by immortality »

The fitting size (1/8" NPT) is ideal for the MAP sensor + 2 small fitting which will suit the FPR reference and vacuum for the climate control.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

bugger!

when we did my mates 304 with similar inlet and TB we just tapped a thread into the back of the manifold, it was higher before the runner started and just enough room for it.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

immortality wrote:Has anybody ever bend the 5/16 hard fuel lines where they come up the firewall and then point out toward the front of the car?
I have bent them using a cheap bending tool and then flared to fit 5AN fittings with success. Similar tool ... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-in-1-Tube- ... SwQM9UZBIy

They are easy to kink bending by hand so be careful if going that path!
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Post by 0081 »

I bent one of the fuel lines on my VY V6 cant remmeber what size it was tho.
Didnt go as far as 90 degrees tho but more than 45
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

My Holley (I think) throttle body is similar and seems to work fine with the fuel pressure reg (teed with the damper) and MAP sensor on the two small vacuum connections. That would allow you to enlarge the bigger one for the PCV, or just drill and tap an additional hole at the front. You may want to put a bung in the larger hole at the rear so you can point the IAC plug downward.

With your fuel lines just spread the bend(s) out, you should be able to get them where you want them.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I'm thinking that I might have to move the FPR off the back of the fuel rail is there is just not enough room to route the fuel lines nicely. Just need to figure out where to put the damn thing.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Haven't solved the FPR issue yet but on the suggestion of VRSenator065 (on another forum) I have been playing with the routing of the heater hoses....
It doesn't solve my FPR issue but it gives me more room around the back of the manifold and looks a lot tidier (I think). There is enough room to fit one hose under the PS pump. Instead of taking the hot coolant source from the thermostat housing I can take it from the front of the coolant cross-over passage.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

yes, yes. i need that manifold.
heater hoses look good nice and out of the way. just keep them off the zorst manifold yo :)
They are easy to kink bending by hand so be careful if going that path!
this man is wise.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.