304 intake manifold swap.

For non EFI mechanical discussion
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: 304 intake manifold swap.

Post by immortality »

Recommended Valve springs for the Kelford Cams 170-E is a Comp cams 986 valve spring, 132lbs @ 1.75" installed height, 293lbs @ 1.25" but I think a good single beehive spring Like the Comp cams 26918 beehive valve spring. would do the same job and cater for more lift to boot.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

You'd have to run those beehive ones without dampers wouldn't you? Are retainers available for a reasonable price?

I bought one of these sets recently for my next build which will be using a similar cam (early heads still though)
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

Only basic steel retainers but reviews seem pretty good, the springs will do 0.550" lift and can't beat the price. Can't speak to the results as I haven't used them yet but they look fine and fit up well on a spare head.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yeah, no dampers but the V6's have been using em for years and so have the LS boys so no issues there. I did search it all out years ago and retainers/locks are available. Going to have a chat with a local supplier as he's been sorting out all the Aeroflow stuff at very good prices so I'll see if I can source other parts through him too. Much easier to deal with a local supplier where possible if prices are good.

I used to get a lot of stuff through Summit but they got expensive for shipping :( It is amazing how cheap stuff is in the US, especially for Chev's.

Attempted to make a adaptor bush for the ECT sensor but didn't have the right tap at work ( M12 x 1.5 mm), so I'll need to source a tap but the bush is ready otherwise.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Finally got some time to work on the car, got the manifold fitted up. next up will stripping wiring looms to move plugs to suit the new TB.

As a bonus, it turns out the runners have been ported to suit standard head ports (as the heads were run in our old NZV8 class).
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Good intake and some port work it should go good. Even better excuse for a cam!
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yeah, The old NZV8's i'm told made 420+ hp with this intake, stock "as cast" ports, small solid cam (I believe around the 234° @.050") on pump 98 with 10.5:1 CR so these intakes definitely flow enough to make the power :D

Cam is needed indeed :)
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

immo - what bolts are they dude.
certainly has come up looking awesome buddy
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Cheers

Those are stainless cap screws/washers from my local engineering shop.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Bit more progress. Stripped the wiring loom, moved things about and re-taped it all. Looks reasonably good. Not so much luck with the heater hoses, they are going to stuff things up a bit. Considering moving the heater tap from it's normal location at the front of the intake manifold to somewhere at the back so it's out of the way, may even put it in the return line instead as I can't see that making any difference.

Need to organise some hose clamps and some other sort of clamps to hold the wiring loom and other hoses just to tidy things up a bit.

Hit one small problem today, the OEM injector retaining clips that hold the injectors in the fuel rails don't fit the new Aeroflow fuel rails. Not sure on a solution yet but not keen on leaving it as is as I really don't want an injector dropping down and getting a big pressurised fuel leak in the engine bay.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Another small problem I have discovered is that this TB has no provision for the PCV system :(