Holden 304 Tie Bar Roller Lifters

For non EFI mechanical discussion
brindo

Holden 304 Tie Bar Roller Lifters

Post by brindo »

Just wondering if anyone has any info on what Pontiac roller lifters can be used in the Holden 304 engines, VT block. I know Morel make the 5337 and Howards make the 91466H, but I am looking for something less expensive so hoping the Pontiac lifters may be more common and be cheaper. So does anyone have a definite part number for a tie bar lifter that will fit with no problems. And if a Pontiac lifter is used, are different length push rods needed?
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Holden 304 Tie Bar Roller Lifters

Post by Dylan »

Maybe completely wrong or useless info. But I once heard that stock VT V6 lifters fkt the VT V8 engine. If true it may offer anotherpossibility.
Macca97
cars: hj ute, hz wagon, copious amounts of random half started side projects

Post by Macca97 »

i think its the early pontiac lifters fit into the old red/blue blocks, for flat tappet,
why have one 202, when you can have 12 and counting, 30+ car graveyard just for fun aswell
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Macca97 wrote:i think its the early pontiac lifters fit into the old red/blue blocks, for flat tappet,
This is correct. They also fit the Black blocks.

Unlike Holden V8s Pontiac V8s never had oem roller followers so finding out what aftermarket Pontiac roller followers work in a Holden block is going to require either careful measuring or trial and error.
You need to make sure the oil hole isn't uncovered at any point and I think most aftermarket designs for other engines (that would otherwise fit a Holden V8) do have this problem.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

A guy on another forum went through all this, turns out that the Holden block "borrowed" a lot of it's design from Pontiac and as such share the same lifter bore/size and spacing. Unfortunately the guy threw his toys out of the cot and all the stuff was deleted but long story short the Pontiac lifters are the correct ones as a drop in replacement for the 308/304 engines. Have a look on the Summit website as they now stock em as well.
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

Do you remember the thread? I gather it was either JustCommodores or AussieV8. It is possible to find old material that has since been deleted, if you have any info I can search for it and it can then be posted here or linked to.

EDIT: Here's some info but I'd still like to find the missing posts/threads if I can.
immortality

Post by immortality »

The info was in the AV8 forum but the user had all the stuff deleted when he threw his toys out of the cot.

The user was Micks355 and I think he used roller lifters and cams from Howards Cams.
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

immortality

Post by immortality »

Good work I do believe that is the thread.
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

With enough info you can find anything on the net. Once it's online it never really disappears.