T5 - Concentric Release Bearing

For non EFI mechanical discussion
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Re: T5 - Concentric Release Bearing

Post by HQ355 »

vlad01 wrote:As long as the cylinder ratio and pipe diameters is big enough they do feel and operate awesome.
Got ya ! Better than a cable lol
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yours isn't though. Yours feels slow and sloshy like a 1976 Dodge truck . I reckon the pipe is too small.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:I've experienced the exact opposite, very vague hydraulic clutches, much preferred the old cable clutch has you can feel what is happening.
I've felt some good and some bad. A lot of the new cars are ok, but retrofits on many I have driven feel shithouse. I do still prefer cable as I'm used to T5 which have awesome feeling cable setup from factory, I'd hate to ruin that.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
HQ355

Post by HQ355 »

vlad01 wrote:yours isn't though. Yours feels slow and sloshy like a 1976 Dodge truck . I reckon the pipe is too small.
?? You havnt driven mine ! Lol
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

no, but i did try the clutch the few times I sat in it. don't you remember me complaining about it? lol, and you were ranting how good it was.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

psyolent wrote:Hi

Anyone fitted one of these to a T5 and done away with the cable clutch configuration on the earliers?

Wanting to fit a T5 to a VT ; and keep the hydraulics and not have the cable.

Just digging :)
It is one of my many projects that I have not gone far with as yet..
I have bought two all steel input shaft bearing retainer housings (GM V8), which I was going to some how either adapt a CSC from the GMH T56 onto the front, or have a complete new one machined up that the CSC can bolt on to.
The V6 GMH T5 uses the Alloy bearing retainer cap with pressed steel tube so that seems a bit flexible to me, hence I sourced a couple of all steel ones.
With the GMH Input (main shaft) being so long the adapter will also be quite lengthy it seems. Got a couple of GMH T56 CSC units & two billets of large diameter alloy plus the steel input shaft housings. Just need a lot more time & the drive to get it sussed out.

The units Mal Woods uses in the link have me wonder how they set them up as I imagine the need to be solid mounted to something or need to push off a backing plate. Or maybe they are only suitable for the shorter shaft V8 T5's ?

Cheers
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

vlad01 wrote:
immortality wrote:I've experienced the exact opposite, very vague hydraulic clutches, much preferred the old cable clutch has you can feel what is happening.
I've felt some good and some bad. A lot of the new cars are ok, but retrofits on many I have driven feel shithouse. I do still prefer cable as I'm used to T5 which have awesome feeling cable setup from factory, I'd hate to ruin that.
I agree the cable operated T5 in my VS V6 is a very good feel & surprisingly light. Part of the reason I am going to try the twin plate clutch using the cable operation before getting into the hydraulic conversion.

Cheers
HQ355

Post by HQ355 »

vlad01 wrote:no, but i did try the clutch the few times I sat in it. don't you remember me complaining about it? lol, and you were ranting how good it was.
You always complain lol, you can't judge it until you drive it !
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

I like the Tilton ones (stupid pricey but you never regret it), have used on Aussie 4 speed, Muncie and now TKO600. Threaded adjustment rather than shims means you don't have to pull the gearbox if you measure wrong!

Issues with poor feel are exactly the same as cable or pushrod clutch - you need to set it up right with the right lever ratio, the fluid still gives a mechanical connection. Ditching the fork is great for uniform feel and one less point of failure in the chain. If your master cylinder is in the ball park in terms of bore and stroke then you will be able to use it, often you can tweak the travel at the pedal to get it just right.

Going to go a bit cheaper on the ute with one of those Howe units and an LT1 T56 (very short bell housing, originally had a pull clutch like the HSV VR-VT strokers). If I get around to it.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

You can pick up used 3 plate Tilton clutches on ebay, just need to get new plates to suit your box.