Gen3 LS1 5.7 oil leaks

For non EFI mechanical discussion
VX L67 Getrag

Gen3 LS1 5.7 oil leaks

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Just checking to see what everyone's experiences are with oil leaks on the old VT Gen3's?

I know the sumps tend to leak a bit once they get close to 200,000Kms, the oil pressure switches, rear mains....

These have all been done on this car & looks to me like it's coming from under the valley but yes the oil pressure switch is BONE dry.
Is there any common oil leak area's under there anyone else has knowledge of, or any other common leak areas for these motors now they're getting a bit long in the tooth.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Gen3 LS1 5.7 oil leaks

Post by vlad01 »

I would assume all V engines will start to leak from under the valley due to the nature of the design limitation.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

But on the LS series I didn't think there was an oil transfer through the valley?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

what do you mean transfer? oil vapour and spray splashed underneath and also oil creeps against gravity seeping out where ever it can find leaks. Valley is 2nd leakiest place after the sump gasket on most v engines.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

LS is different to earlier ones though, its got a separate plate that covers the lifter valley, then the inlet goes over the top of it and seals to the head ports .....

that said I know nothing more about them :P
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Just a thought,but I have had to replace a few of the rubber seals around the bottom of the knock sensors onto the cover plate and also cam sensor orings.
Last edited by vs ss on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:LS is different to earlier ones though, its got a separate plate that covers the lifter valley, then the inlet goes over the top of it and seals to the head ports .....

that said I know nothing more about them :P
yes I know that but they still can leak, any seals/gasket can if it fails with age.
The1

Post by The1 »

no leaks from the rocker covers and down the edge of the block? Which commonly make it look like rear main.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Nah the rocker cover gaskets are fresh & clean, normally they leak worse on exhaust side as its more of an angle out there rather than in the middle, but good thought all the same!
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Maybe the inlet gaskets around the ports have no more tension/sealing and the manifold has bottomed out on the heads, especially when the inlet collects blowby/mist etc