Cooling systems

For non EFI mechanical discussion
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: Cooling systems

Post by yoda69 »

Amazing what you can find laying around in the garage gathering dust.
Had this fitted to a 351C many years ago, also had the water pump from Bennetts as well, had a brass impeller that was cast/machined from memory.
The smaller part is for the top hose and the larger is for the bottom hose with thermostat.
IMG_0191.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG (247.15 KiB) Viewed 6616 times
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

That's the first close up pics i've seen of the original system :thumbup:
immortality

Post by immortality »

yoda69 wrote:Amazing what you can find laying around in the garage gathering dust.
Had this fitted to a 351C many years ago, also had the water pump from Bennetts as well, had a brass impeller that was cast/machined from memory.
The smaller part is for the top hose and the larger is for the bottom hose with thermostat.
What did you think of the system? See any benefits over the conventional cooling system?
yoda69

Post by yoda69 »

Didn't work well in the Cleveland, but think was more to do with them having an internal bypass under the thermostat. When the thermostat opens it gets blocked off, I didn't know that much about it at the time, in hindsight probably would have fitted a 160F in the normal position with a few 5mm holes drilled in it and then try a 180F in the bottom hose, or alternatively block altogether.
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG (92.32 KiB) Viewed 6608 times
More info on the 351c cooling:
https://kvicksilverpuman.blogspot.com.a ... ouble.html
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Absolutely brilliant, thanks Yoda. Like Immortality I have never seen them like that.
A couple of questions
For thermostat one what side of the thermostat is the bypass? It appears to be on the radiator side but it's hard to be sure.
What are the holes for in the fluid flow path? Are they the air bubble remover?

That Cleveland block looks like a pressed in plate, I thought Australian Clevelands after 1972 were cast in as part of the block.
yoda69

Post by yoda69 »

The thermostat still points to the radiator, but flows backwards, hot water from top hose fitting flows down to thermostat mechanism side and into engine, when hot enough it then opens and allows for water to be bled off from radiator.
Unsure if holes are for air bubble bleed off or to add some back pressure.
The bypass inlet I have comes out the centre hole directly onto thermostat mechanism, the two plugs on the side I'm unsure about but they join the large hole on either side.
All Clevelands I've had to the 80's models have always had the pressed in plate.
Below is exploded view.
IMG_0199.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG
immortality

Post by immortality »

The guys that I've been taking to (who now does the Bennett systems) says the original system had inbuilt restrictions so I guess that is what the drilled holes are for.

The top piece is rather ingenious in it's simplicity to get coolant flowing into the bypass and have any air continue towards the radiator.

Do you mind if I post copies of these pics on another forum?
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

I get it now.
It cycles through the bypass to allow the water to flow but without going through the radiator until the thermostat opens. When the thermostat opens it get a mixture of cool water from the radiator and operating temp water through the bypass thus limiting thermal change.
Quite clever really.
yoda69

Post by yoda69 »

immortality wrote:
Do you mind if I post copies of these pics on another forum?
No problem
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

The biggest issue that I see is the bypass. As stated it allows coolant to circulate around the engine when warming up to eliminate hot spots and ensure even temperature around the engine and when it gets hot enough the coolant then begins flowing thru the radiator at a controlled rate by the thermostat. If the thermostat is removed the bypass circuit won't work and yes the engine will most likely overheat during the warmup period. I didn't know the Cleveland had a bypass thermostat but I can understand the problems that can occur when the thermostat was removed and fitted into the lower hose. I think you need to have a look at the engines bypass coolant flow first then with a bit of plumbing go ahead with the lower hose thermostat. Also I think the additional hose fittings on that unit are to ensure that a flow of coolant gets to the thermostat during warmup so it can react to the actual engine temp.