Performance diff info thread.

For non EFI mechanical discussion
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Re: Performance diff info thread.

Post by VK_3800 »

ejukated wrote:So just to be clear, you can mount a M78 centre in place of a M75 but ring gear and pinions from a M78 wont fit on a M75?
Absolutely yes (centre is identical), have done so myself.
immortality wrote:Just to add to this (and add a little confusion), a M78 gear set can apparently be made to fit an M75 housing (by grinding clearances) however an M75 gear set can't be used in a M78 housing.
Theoretically yes, not with hand grinding though. There's enough room for the larger crownwheel and you can swap the larger OD M78 rear pinion bearing to a smaller M75 one as they are the same ID. The trick would be machining the rear pinion bearing support in the housing around 0.15" (nearly 4mm) deeper to move it further forward for the larger crownwheel, or perhaps there is a shorter bearing that could account for this (wouldn't be my first choice though, this bearing is important). You can jam everything in there without moving the pinion but the gears won't come close to meshing correctly.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

It can't be to difficult, my mate had a diff built at Steelie Gears last year and it used a M78 gear set from a VS HSV (hydratrac) diff in a standard housing. Definitely not something you would want to attempt with basic hand tools.

He's looking at another gear swap now so I might try and see if I can get some photos when it gets pulled apart again.
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Any guys tried out those ebay Torque Lock LSD by Torqueline?

Supposedly true trac copies...not heard much about them tbh.
brindo

Post by brindo »

I have a Torque Lock that's been sitting in the shed for quite a while now. Just waiting on a set of gears. And time.
Would like to have it installed before the year is out.

It looks the goods, but time will tell.
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Heard a little about them where most need to grind down head of pinion gear to fit....other than that couple of guys said theirs seemed ok after the test drives but nothing since.

Diff bloke I used rather not use them unless it's just street driving.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

The Harrop/Eaton Truetrac requires clearance work to fit with many ratios too, was told when I bought mine that it would only be an issue with 4.11 pinion and that my 3.45 would fit fine... wrong. Its not a lot and you could take it off either the new centre or the pinion but after spending $1600 on the Truetrac vs a $50 gear set (and no real tooth contact at the end anyway) it wasn't a difficult choice.
brindo

Post by brindo »

Apologies for stirring up all the dust on an old thread.

Have just installed a rebuilt M78 diff in my one tonner. Too early to say whether the Torque Lock (or my diff rebuilding skills) are any good or not. But if anyone is interested, Ratech make a solid pinion spacer kit part number 4114 - $30 delivered. And Yukon make an adjustable carrier shim kit which is pretty handy if you’re using a different hemisphere. The Yukon SK SS10 is listed as being the correct kit for an M78, but has a minimum thickness of 0.210” which is more than likely too much. The correct one that will work is the SK-SM35, which goes from 0.120” to 0.213”and was around $40 delivered. Which was cheaper than me getting the old shims surface ground.

Hope this helps.
VSRaptor
cars: Vp Commodore V8
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

I got a VP Commodore V8, it has a T56 out of a VX and 3.9 ratio. I had a KAZZ 2 way lsd fitted to it in 2006. WOW, it's instant, it hangs out of corners and it's strong compared to the conventional cone lsd. It is very important to follow the bed in procedure to wear the clutches in correctly. 30 mins of doing a figure 8 in an empty carpark, clutch in to the corners and clutch out of the corner about 10 kms/hr speed. Get a mate or 2 to help as by yourself drives you mad. It noisy at the start when cornering but it goes away as you put the kms on and it wears in.
Only downside is you must use KAZZ oil and I think it's like every 10,000 kms oil change from memory. I haven't looked into if anyone is using other cheaper alternatives yet.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

lets be honest most diffs probably need more regular oil changes than they ever usually get!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

The Kaaz center is good! I am loving mine, Really powers out of corners well and if you give it enough the whole back end nicely comes around in a predictable manner. I haven't tried a compression lock up into a corner yet but it should slide around as well being 2 way locking.

Much better than that garbage factory LSD.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.