Performance diff info thread.

For non EFI mechanical discussion
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Performance diff info thread.

Post by immortality »

Grind most of the way through and a quick tap with a hammer and chisel works.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yep you can go about 10 mm off stock axles and usually not bottom them out .... thats what i normally do for shortening BW's for oldholdens.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

The angle grinder and hammer was my tools :lol:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

A few scars on the bearing area won't hurt anything, just don't hit the seal surface
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That was my problem, tried to avoid grinder bounce but ended up hitting the seal area. For the 80 odd bucks for NOS axles it wasn't even worth the time fucking around with old ones.
Anyway I'll work it out when it comes to the time. I might even try a VL diff in there to see as it's cheaper getting one than it is the 3.45 gears by themselves so I'm going to get one just for the gears anyway.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

A mate just sent me this for VN. Apparently there is a few axles they made for them, even a 3.45 version. Might be something to this.

G, isn't you VP exec a factory 8? Can you measure the hub to hub with disks on?

76686459_444141512816521_8455574627568058368_n.jpg
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

To remove axle bearings properly with ease, one needs a press and a bearing puller like depicted in the following image.
puller.jpeg
puller.jpeg (3.94 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
vlad01 wrote:A mate just sent me this for VN. Apparently there is a few axles they made for them, even a 3.45 version. Might be something to this.
I may be wrong but that looks like a list for the complete Assembly not just Axles.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah complete diffs. I though there were only 4 possible combos. Ute/wagon with an without LSD and sedan with and without LSD.

According to that there are V6 and V8 versions which might be the width, I can't see what else would differ.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

When they start mentioning things like FE2 in the listing it could be something like different bushings, there will be tiny differences. 3.45 may or may not have actually been available, could have just been on paper. Also ABS options could have been part of the listings even if not available until later. The odd one might have been lucky enough to get shotpeened gears or something like that too, I still can't imagine any different widths.

The listings in the spreadsheet don't separate VN/VP from VR/VS very well but there are dozens of different numbers. Sometimes they just change numbers because a production process has changed somehow.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

VN GRP A was a VL width diff with 3.45 gears if I'm not mistaken. As above, shot peened gears for the V8 models.