Performance diff info thread.

For non EFI mechanical discussion
v6bucket

Re: Performance diff info thread.

Post by v6bucket »

Holden202T wrote:lets be honest most diffs probably need more regular oil changes than they ever usually get!
Are you suppose to change diff oil? I thought it lasted forever. :lol: :driving:
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah and it smells brand new after 200,000kms too!
VSRaptor
cars: Vp Commodore V8
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

I cut 600ml water bottles keeping the bottom 1/4 and fill it with used diff oil. Cats hate it and it keeps them away from urinating and defecating in my garden bed. :D :D :D I place them a few meters apart. I have seen surveillance footage of them being turned off by the smell and they don't bother doing their thing. Off they go, jump the fence to the other side and do it somewhere else. Old diff oil has some uses.
Last edited by VSRaptor on Fri May 24, 2019 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
VSRaptor
cars: Vp Commodore V8
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

vlad01 wrote:The Kaaz center is good! I am loving mine, Really powers out of corners well and if you give it enough the whole back end nicely comes around in a predictable manner. I haven't tried a compression lock up into a corner yet but it should slide around as well being 2 way locking.

Much better than that garbage factory LSD.
Rollbacks are excellent too, on flats and on a hill :punk: :punk: :punk:
Yes, it's very predictable and easy to control too.

I read a while back where they were comparing tru track to kazz and others. KAZZ won hands down for track and drift.
Tru track was best for daily driver
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Can anyone confirm is the VN-VP factory V8 exec had a narrower diff compared to the other VN-VPs?

From a diff site it states

VL 1524mm hub to hub
VN-VP 1566mm
VN-VP V8 exec 1539mm

Source:
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/bo ... -tech-talk

Would love to know if it's true as it would be perfect for my next car to get those damn VL walky wheels to clear the guards properly.
Currently only have 3.5mm of clearance to the side wall with 215 tyres and there is about 25-30mm I can go inboard before contacting the tubs, minus some when the body rolls as the wheels angle in on the outboard wheel.

That 13.5mm shorter each side for this supposedly shorter VN-VP diff would be perfect. VL is probably a bit too narrow for comfort.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

I wouldn't believe much of anything in a Street Machine article, there are plenty of errors in that one. I've never seen any different and highly doubt there is any, they are probably confused about the comparison between the first IRS vehicles and live axle (early IRS models had different offset wheels to compensate).

You might get away with VL width, there's only ~38-40mm difference overall. Original 28 spline axles are hard to find though if you don't want to trim down VN ones (workable but not ideal) or go aftermarket (expensive).
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah I'm thinking of just getting the stock housing shorten by 10-15mm each side and custom axles, harrop trutrac and 3.45 gears, and I already got group A calipers to go on as well.

The width will allow me to choose from both 215 55R 16 and 225 55R 16 tyres. If I got VL diff the 225 will most likely scrub inside.

As for the IRS they were 1578mm iirc, much wider than all of them.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Actually if you only took 10mm off each side you could probably get away with just trimming the ends of the standard axles, there's usually up to 1/2" additional spline length on most of them. Would save a few dollars without any significant compromise.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Problem is I got NOS axles that are already 7.5mm too long which I do shorten to fit Vp housing already but I doubt it could go 17mm. Aftermarket axles are not that expensive anyway, about $750 for a pair

I could try reusing the original axles but I have never succeeded in getting the bearings off without fucking the axle up. Once took a pair to my mechanic and even he damaged the surface so I'd rather a set of new axles with no bearings installed which as a bonus can be made to any spec I want the first time.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Its not hard to remove bearings with the correct tools...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...