VE 5 speed auto trans 'thumping' issue..

For non EFI mechanical discussion
Gareth

Re: VE 5 speed auto trans 'thumping' issue..

Post by Gareth »

Cheers for that Greg,

As stated in the first post, all modules have the latest calibration including the TCM. I have read similar complaints as to what you have shared, they all and you seem to describe a shudder or surge, this is wwaaaayyyy worse than that, to the point of some bloke on the westgate next to me looking and pointing at the car... i questioned the builder on the electrics and soleniods and yes they are my old ones (albeit tested on the bench) so is still a possibility. Im not interested in playing 'guess a part' i want to find and fix this in one go.

Need an excuse to go to Melbourne for more data logging :D
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the 5L40E in my experience locks up the converter very differently to the older boxes, I'm sure it used to lock in like 3rd gear or something like that from memory.....

would definitely be worth logging the TCC data.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Holden202T wrote:the 5L40E in my experience locks up the converter very differently to the older boxes, I'm sure it used to lock in like 3rd gear or something like that from memory.....

would definitely be worth logging the TCC data.
Try the sidi ones ! There more like a 12 speed !
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

big G how did you go with this mate?
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
The1

Post by The1 »

try a different gear in manual mode that will still lock it up and see if it does it. I also remember after installing my trans i had shudder a tiny bit when locked up, i unbolted the torque converter from the flexplate and spun it around to the next bolt hole and did it back up, apparently it happens, im guessing something internal isn't quite balanced or the holes dont perfectly line up but do on the next set, bit strange but fixed my issue, mine was a cheap converter though.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

An update on this - I did a couple of trips to Melbourne in it using tech2 to operate the TTC, finally could somewhat replicate it (not like a machine gun but off and on thumping with commands) it went back to the trans shop and had the torque converter replaced, didn't change anything :thumbdown:

Need to get another log i suppose...
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

I still wouldn't rule out a dodgy coiled plug, if you have a spare set I'd swap them in, although it's a fairly big job on these compared to the Ecotec and Buick v6's. Have heard of a number of coil problems that didn't flag a dtc in the ecu but caused drivability problems.
I've had in the past similar problems with other cars where I thought transmission was stuffed as had bad vibration with tcc locked, new set of plugs and leads sorted it out.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Sorry yoda, coils are new genuine and new plugs within the last 2000kms... also the pcm has a missfire count, shows none when issue occurs.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Family friend had his VX LS1 transmission rebuilt as he was getting the same kinda thing, it was quite violent.. and loud.

After the rebuild, it was still there.. not 'as' bad. In the end, he got a second hand trans... problem solved.

Not exactly helpful.. but his problem wasnt solved from the rebuild either.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726