vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: 4L60-E Problems. Help.

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:Replace the band and put it back together, the money he saves there can be spent on some decent shocks for the rear to stop that axle tramp :)

axle tramp isn't caused by shocks

I've been down this path before and shocks do nothing to fix the issue. If the car is IRS, then the only solution is asymmetric axle shafts. In live axle its the control arm bushes and engine mounts in some cases, they need to be super pro race spec one for the top arms.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Chuff

Post by Chuff »

Assembly question.

The ATSG manual I have for the T700 recommends I remove & discard the 3-4 Load Release Springs in order to improve the 3-4 shift, and quite a few interweb forums mention the same thing, yet the VY manual supplied by Tazzi makes no mention of removing them.
3-4 Load Release Springs.png
3-4 Load Release Springs.png (24.85 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
Leave them out or put them back in?

Each of the 5 3-4 Load Release Springs contain 2 springs. As a compromise, I've read that some people remove 1 of the 2 springs. Maybe?

Thanks

Chuff

EDIT:

Further reading and I found this:

"ATSG no longer recommends leaving them out. They had published this but it was long ago when everyone was scrambling for 3-4 clutch failure issues. Later ATSG publications reference leaving them in."

I'm leaving them in.
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

vlad01 wrote:axle tramp isn't caused by shocks
Correct, it isn't caused by shocks.
vlad01 wrote:I've been down this path before and shocks do nothing to fix the issue. If the car is IRS, then the only solution is asymmetric axle shafts. In live axle its the control arm bushes and engine mounts in some cases, they need to be super pro race spec one for the top arms.
Some of this is a rather simplistic "fix" to a complicated problem that even the OEM and aftermarket manufacturers haven't been able to fix. Other parts are cause for concern.

Axle tramp is caused by change in driveline angle relative to the vehicle. There is no 1 size fits all fix for it. Shocks do actually help because they help to stabilise suspension movement instead of letting the suspension just follow what the resonance of the springs would force it to do without shocks. Better bushes help because they limit the amount of movement (at the expense of comfort) but if the basic design of the vehicle allows axle tramp in the first place it is a design and suspension geometry problem not a simple bush problem.

The only time an engine mount should be any part of a cause of axle tramp is when the engine mount itself is broken and the 2 halves are separating totally. Engine mount design, for as long as I have been alive, has prohibited this. Even if all the flexible section of a mount is gone the mount should not come apart so much that it would enable the engine to twist the drivetrain beyond what the other mounts, e.g. transmission mount, can handle.

Correct me if I am wrong but by assymetric axle shafts I take it you mean unequal length. If this is the case you have proposed a good way to create torque steer. This occurs because differences in driveshaft length can create differences in driveshaft angles.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Asymmetric axles as in one is a LOT thicker than the other, changing the resonance between the 2 wheels causing destructive interference and canceling it out.

In live axles setup the chassis and ultimately the engine mounts make up part of the main load loop to the final road traction so they do play an important roll in tramp. Issues that allow tramp from the mounts is like you said broken ones, poor design from factory, aging rubber and in typical hydro mounts lost fluid. In IRS cars because the diff is fixed to the subframe the main load loops via the subframe back to the diff, not all the way through the chassis via the engine mounts, that in turn is a smaller independent load loop not effecting the main one much.

This is the reason why live axle cars twist the chassis and stand on the rear right wheel and IRS cars just squat at the rear and barely twist the chassis at all.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Add a replacement rear diff/subframe mount with the shocks which will reduce the diff movement/driveline angle changes. Standard cars don't seem to have huge issues with axle tramp as far as I'm aware, it's more of an issue with high power cars.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

generally its not seen much on autos due to TC slip, on manuals with direct drive it can be severe.
The1

Post by The1 »

i left my springs in, i think part of peoples issues were clearances, packing them to tight when huge number of clutches were the rage, then the springs would cause further issues making them burn up quicker. Just my observations.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

vlad01 wrote:Asymmetric axles as in one is a LOT thicker than the other, changing the resonance between the 2 wheels causing destructive interference and canceling it out.
Ok,
vlad01 wrote:In live axles setup the chassis and ultimately the engine mounts make up part of the main load loop to the final road traction so they do play an important roll in tramp. Issues that allow tramp from the mounts is like you said broken ones, poor design from factory, aging rubber and in typical hydro mounts lost fluid. In IRS cars because the diff is fixed to the subframe the main load loops via the subframe back to the diff, not all the way through the chassis via the engine mounts, that in turn is a smaller independent load loop not effecting the main one much.
You give engine mounts to much credit. Regardless of how the diff is mounted, i.e live axles or IRS, the engine mounts have the same purpose and overall effect on the drivetrain. They are there to keep the engine steady thus reducing loss of torque at the engine itself. If a mount has deteriorated once the mount has either compressed or stretched fully the transfer of torque to the drivetrain returns to normal. This is almost instantaneous.

1st thing to check when you have axle tramp with an IRS is the rear suspension frame mounts diff mounts. If your diff mounts have seen better days you are much more likely to have problems.

With regards to the "load loop" load is spread through contact points or mounts. A live axle has 6 mounts for leaf springs (4 spring ends and 2 shocks) or many more for coil springs depending on configuration (e.g. torque bar, watts link, panhard bar, upper control arms, lower control arms, shocks). An IRS has alot more depending on the configuration. This helps an IRS to spread the torque load more effectively through the rear portion of the vehicle. The monocoque design then helps to spread it further. 2 cars that are exactly the same except for rear suspension (i.e. live or IRS) have the exact same "load loop". The difference is the number of points that load is spread through into the monocoque. Monocoque design spreads the load throughout the car, unlike a separate chassis which the vast majority of the load is applied to the chassis.
vlad01 wrote:This is the reason why live axle cars twist the chassis and stand on the rear right wheel and IRS cars just squat at the rear and barely twist the chassis at all.
Any street car that can "stand on the right rear wheel" has either way to much power or a poorly designed monocoque frame or suspension or it is purposefully built to drag race and even then it hasn't been sorted out very well. What you are trying to allude to with regards to IRS happens because of better design. I have given 1 example above but I'll give you another here. Take 2 cars that are equal in every way expect for the rear suspension. Both are 4 link with a watts link but 1 is straight 4 link and the other is triangulated. The straight 4 link car will move, i.e. try to "stand on the right rear", more than the triangulated 4 link. Why? because the triangulated 4 link spreads the torque through the monocoque more efficiently than the straight 4 link. IRS are more efficient than live axle simple because they spread the torque more efficiently and that is because they have more contacts points and better design. The only way you'll mount an engine better is to have more mounts or mount it solidly.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Maybe we need to start a different thread about axle tramp before we completely derail this thread :think:
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Great debate but getting pretty far from OP guys...

Edit: beat me to it :D
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...