Differences between VS and VT on L67 engines

For non EFI mechanical discussion
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Re: Differences between VS and VT on L67 engines

Post by MAGP »

Thanks OZ38, it is an old saying but it is true that a picture speaks a thousand words. I appreciate you posting them and your thoughts. I haven't read all of your site yet (I gather l67torque is yours) but will refer to it during the process. I'll also probably post what I do as I am doing it both here and there.

I agree with your comment about oil cleaners, when I was doing my apprenticeship in Darwin we were the resellers in the NT for a very popular brand of range of additives. An old 1 tonner come in for a service and as with all vehicles that come through the workshop it got the oil flush treatment, 1 week later the engine was dead.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

OZ38 wrote:As already mentioned you will have no dramas bolting the VS-VY L67 top end onto your VS Ecotec. The only difference you may notice in the blocks is a few locator holes for the LIM front & real seals. The VS blocks didn't get them where as the VT onwards did. The new seal kits all come with the little pegs to locate into them, but it wont stop you fitting them to your block as you just make sure they don't squish out or in while torqueing the LIM down.

Also as mentioned the VS Dash Temp sender needs to be drilled & fitted to the VT onwards L67 LIMs as the VT's onwards used their Engine Coolant Sensor to feed the dash info. You then have to extend your Coolant Sensor & Dash Sender wires to reach around to the back of the LIM. If using the VS Ecotec n/a wiring loom then you just unwrap the loom & reposition & extend wires where you need.
The boost bypass actuator is just hooked up to the vacuum port on the blower & leave the Boost Solenoid off altogether. Use the Vac/Boost Tree port on the blower that would have gone to the boost solenoid as a Blower Boost gauge point.

I don't believe GM/H ever did anything about the core shift problems that caused the restricted oil galleries to the mains/rods. Maybe just better servicing in the latter years or change of oil grades / types has helped. Funny how a lot of spun bearing issues would come after the use of oil flushing additives on older not so well serviced engines. But that is my opinion btw.

Also if your going to fit a L67 Top end to a N/A ecotec you want to only use the stock sized blower pulley (6psi on the L67) & have it well tuned to suit the higher compression of the N/A block.

Link some pics later when I can get photobucket to behave.

Hmm thats weird about the lugs? Buick have them as standard but I never had a VS block personally so I can't say I have seem one without the lugs.

btw those locating pin holes in the lugs are great and all by the damn seals have them at the wrong pitch and don't fit. I got genuine ones and they just won't locate :roll:

I wonder if buick valley seals would fit? they are heaps better imho.

As for the core shift issue a common mod is to drill the galley a bit bigger to fix the issue. I have head its drilled to 10mm. The stock size apparently is 7mm or so.

I checked one a few buick blocks. the sizes go from front to rear iirc 10mm,9mm, 8.5mm 10mm so they are pretty substantial for these engines at least.

I got this pic from a vs which is pretty interesting.
image003.jpg
image003.jpg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

By that pic it would only take a small bit of crud to starve the bearing.
I've drill main gallery tunnels front to back on chev small blocks because some of them have misalignment issues but never any others on chevs or other blocks. It may be something I start doing as a common mod from now on.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

vlad01 wrote:I got this pic from a vs which is pretty interesting.
image003.jpg
Ha ha yeah that is my pic I posted up some years ago. The originator of the pic is a guy named James over on the 3800Pro forum. He cut up the block into lots of pieces & posted them to a thread we were both posting in about the GM(H) 3800 Series II oiling system.
I have done the drilling on a block of my own. But whether it is necessary I am not 100% sure. I figured it can't make it any worse.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

Well that sucks.
PhotoBucket today (yesterday actually I think) changed their rules & Terms of Agreements.
As a free member I no longer can have links to my images (pics) on their site or 3 party hosting of my images !
Seems I must pay $400 USD a year to be able to have links to images & 3 party hosting of my images.
Is this a different form of Ransomware ?
I have about 2GB+ of images stored over there. Before yesterday I had up to 10 GB of allowed storage & able to link to my images.
Sorry about the pics that have been posted previously.
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

On most forums, unless specifically told otherwise by admins-mods-rules, I just post pics to the forum. I don't trust hosting sites whether they be for pics, torrents (yes torrents can be legal), cloud, etc because they change rules or crash at the most inopportune times.