Differences between VS and VT on L67 engines

For non EFI mechanical discussion
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Differences between VS and VT on L67 engines

Post by MAGP »

I'm considering "upgrading" my VS Ecotec but for the sake of a blue slip, which is difficult to get out here without booking well ahead, I was considering fitting L67 top end parts onto my VS ecotec after they are checked and reconditioned. Are there any physical differences or additions (e.g. EGR) between a VS and VT on L67. I know the VT Ecotec had an EGR but the VS Ecotec didn't.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Differences between VS and VT on L67 engines

Post by immortality »

L67 has no EGR :)

VS L67 has special fitting on the back of the LIM for the dash temp gauge sensor but you could tap something into the LIM to suit.
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

If that's the only difference then it wouldn't be to difficult a swap.
Thanks.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Those are the ones I know, not sure if there are any others.

I believe there are some slight differences in sensors from VS to VT and location ecotec to L67 but yes it should be a fairly straight forward swap.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Internal differences some cases different head castings. Documented 3 different part numbers from 95 to 06 (US 06, AU 03)

Blocks should be the same casting? VS and VT both plagued by oil galley issues, VX onward was mostly gone as they improved it somewhat.

Sump is o ring on VS. VT is aluminium gasket with integral o ring. otherwise not a lot of difference, VY on the other hard there was more major changes throughout the engine.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

Thanks Vlad, what oil changes were made after VT?
firebug
cars: Pathfinder Ti 550, L67 Gemini

Post by firebug »

The general consensus is it is easier to do a complete engine swap rather than top end conversion. Lots of info in here... --> http://l67torque.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=2168
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

I read that thread last night, I forgot about that site :shh:, and got to the last page and read the last 2 posts and thought out of 4 pages only 3 posts (the 8th on page 1 and the last 2 on page 4) are informative the rest is just forum noise. I'll get a complete engine but will recondition it, or parts of it, and see what my options are then.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

MAGP wrote:Thanks Vlad, what oil changes were made after VT?
Just more consistent oil gallery drilling locations from lifter oil rails to the mains as many were offset getting cut off by the cam bearing and starving the mains. Buick didn't have these issues it was more earlier ecotec.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

As already mentioned you will have no dramas bolting the VS-VY L67 top end onto your VS Ecotec. The only difference you may notice in the blocks is a few locator holes for the LIM front & real seals. The VS blocks didn't get them where as the VT onwards did. The new seal kits all come with the little pegs to locate into them, but it wont stop you fitting them to your block as you just make sure they don't squish out or in while torqueing the LIM down.

Also as mentioned the VS Dash Temp sender needs to be drilled & fitted to the VT onwards L67 LIMs as the VT's onwards used their Engine Coolant Sensor to feed the dash info. You then have to extend your Coolant Sensor & Dash Sender wires to reach around to the back of the LIM. If using the VS Ecotec n/a wiring loom then you just unwrap the loom & reposition & extend wires where you need.
The boost bypass actuator is just hooked up to the vacuum port on the blower & leave the Boost Solenoid off altogether. Use the Vac/Boost Tree port on the blower that would have gone to the boost solenoid as a Blower Boost gauge point.

I don't believe GM/H ever did anything about the core shift problems that caused the restricted oil galleries to the mains/rods. Maybe just better servicing in the latter years or change of oil grades / types has helped. Funny how a lot of spun bearing issues would come after the use of oil flushing additives on older not so well serviced engines. But that is my opinion btw.

Also if your going to fit a L67 Top end to a N/A ecotec you want to only use the stock sized blower pulley (6psi on the L67) & have it well tuned to suit the higher compression of the N/A block.

Link some pics later when I can get photobucket to behave.
Attachments
Bothin.jpg
Bothin.jpg (96.07 KiB) Viewed 9852 times
bits.jpg
bits.jpg (165.88 KiB) Viewed 9852 times
AddingTempSender2.jpg
AddingTempSender2.jpg (113.81 KiB) Viewed 9852 times
VT-VYBlockLIMsealcastlugs.jpg
VT-VYBlockLIMsealcastlugs.jpg (92.79 KiB) Viewed 9852 times
Last edited by OZ38 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.