cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Holden - GMB Ecotec V6 Waterpumps

Post by vlad01 »

From wiki.

"Traditionally, there were two major corrosion inhibitors used in vehicles: silicates and phosphates. American made vehicles traditionally used both silicates and phosphates.[20] European makes contain silicates and other inhibitors, but no phosphates.[20] Japanese makes traditionally use phosphates and other inhibitors, but no silicates.[20][21]"

I reckon there is a fair chance since GMB pumps are of jap design and often made there, perhaps the seals fail due to the silicates. I read in a few places that honda do not use silicates for one of the reasons being it causes the seals to fail from abrasion.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

This is interesting. I have had the gaskets turn to mush as well as the other nylon parts, eg, bypass barbs, heater tap and radiator end tanks. So it probably was the shit coolant i used before that ate the nylon. It was that peak brand made in Dandenong. Also the silicone Oring on the heater loop stainless tube and the bypass barbs were gooey mess.

"DEX-COOL specifically has caused controversy. Litigation has linked it with intake manifold gasket failures in General Motors' (GM's) 3.1L and 3.4L engines, and with other failures in 3.8L and 4.3L engines. One of the anti-corrosion components presented as sodium or Potassium 2-ethylhexanoate and ethylhexanoic acid is incompatible with nylon 6,6 and silicone rubber, and is a known plasticizer. Class action lawsuits were registered in several states, and in Canada,[24] to address some of these claims. The first of these to reach a decision was in Missouri, where a settlement was announced early in December 2007.[25] Late in March 2008, GM agreed to compensate complainants in the remaining 49 states.[26] GM (Motors Liquidation Company) filed for bankruptcy in 2009, which tied up the outstanding claims until a court determines who gets paid.[27]

According to the DEX-COOL manufacturer, "mixing a 'green' [non-OAT] coolant with DEX-COOL reduces the batch's change interval to 2 years or 30,000 miles, but will otherwise cause no damage to the engine".[28] DEX-COOL antifreeze uses two inhibitors: sebacate and 2-EHA (2-ethylhexanoic acid), the latter which works well with the hard water found in the United States, but is a plasticizer that can cause gaskets to leak.[20]

According to internal GM documents,[citation needed] the ultimate culprit appears to be operating vehicles for long periods of time with low coolant levels. The low coolant is caused by pressure caps that fail in the open position. (The new caps and recovery bottles were introduced at the same time as DEX-COOL). This exposes hot engine components to air and vapors, causing corrosion and contamination of the coolant with iron oxide particles, which in turn can aggravate the pressure cap problem as contamination holds the caps open permanently.[29]"
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

well on my own engines everythings always been clean as expected and no issues with anything else rubber. The life of my VS has basicly been that tectaloy
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Yep, so the stuff GM recommended for your V6 probably hastened the demise of the plastic intake gaskets......

I had been using the Prestone antifreeze in our old VS.
The1

Post by The1 »

i got about 250k out of the plastic gaskets i think, from there i put in the alloy ones and it's now at 365k
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Anyone used the gates pumps before?
The1

Post by The1 »

only the odd belt or two here with no problems.
The1

Post by The1 »

perhaps more evidence here for GMB non Japan stamped pumps loosing quality

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/th ... mp.239374/
The1

Post by The1 »

interesting article here, looks like OAT nitrite free is the best for iron and alloy. Nulon Long Life Red looks good, the tectaloy seems unclear if it is nitrite free, but the rest is ok.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/07 ... plication/