Holden - GMB Ecotec V6 Waterpumps

For non EFI mechanical discussion
The1

Holden - GMB Ecotec V6 Waterpumps

Post by The1 »

Well over the past few years ive been having issues with waterpumps, never been an issue before, but it seems good pumps are getting harder to find.

I used to always use GMB Japan water pumps on any engine and got 7-10 years no worries and plenty of km's, Last time i replaced the waterpump on the VS i couldn't find another GMB Japan pump so i use a normal GMB Pump which didn't have Japan on it like my last one, well it only lasted 2yrs and nearly 40,000km, When i bought the VX i didn't want another GMB Pump and still couldn't find a GMB Japan pump so i bought a genuine Holden pump and guess what it only lasted 2yrs and 30,000km, both pumps had water coming out the bottom bearing breather hole, all pulleys straight and aligned well, no vibrations and well no pump problems like this before.

So I found a GMB Japan pump this time so ive taken a heap of photos to compair them all, the only difference i can see is that GMB Japan has the Japan marking on the front, markings on the inside and bigger bump in the middle of the pulley, so it requires the older ecotec pulley hub with the open centre. Time will tell if the GMB Japan pump will last the normal 7-10yrs or not.

I busted the old Holden pump open to see what bearing it uses and what the seal was like, doesn't look bad, it should be sealing, bearing is a TZP brand, So my thoughts are Holden isn't making pumps for these anymore so they use cheap stuff same with GMB they have a low end pump and then there Japan made models. Ive also taken photos of the box's to compair, by the looks of the box id say GMB has someone else make there cheap pumps.

Part Numbers GMB Japan 1039
Cheap GMB WP1039MGMB
Left to Right Holden - GMB - GMB Japan back.JPG
Left to Right Holden - GMB - GMB Japan front.JPG
Holden Front.JPG
GMB Front.JPG
GMB Japan Front.JPG
Holden Back.JPG
GMB Back.JPG
GMB Japan Back.JPG
GMB Japan Left - GMB Right.JPG
GMB Box Sides GMB Japan Left - GMB Right.JPG
Holden Pump Seal.JPG
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Holden - GMB Ecotec V6 Waterpumps

Post by vlad01 »

Interesting.

I only ever had one fail and it was a noisy bearing, was the original pump from factory.

Havn't had any leak though the drain hole. It could be quality issues or it can even be the coolant. I know the workshop manual states you must use the coolant lubricant tablets for the V6 to keep the seal in good condition. I personally never used them.

Maybe worth a shot asking if they still sell them or not?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

Coolant hasn't changed, still same type and brand, unless something changed in manufacturing of it over the years. I had use those pellets before many years ago but stopped using them and havn't seen any difference until now. I guess time will tell, if this GMB Japan pump goes fine then ill know!

All my pump failures were due to coolant out the bottom hole, even the 10 yr old GMB Japan ones. Ive never had bearings die.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Pellets part number is M40124

Did you drain the coolant when you changed the pump last time? I wonder if the last pump lasted because the old coolant still had the lubricant there and now lost since it was drained?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

Complete flush everytime, as the coolant was due by then. If anything from records ive had pumps last less time with pellets. From looking at the pump i can't see how it really would benifit as there isn't much rubber exposed, it's hard to tell what exactly failed perhaps even the metal colar warps enough to weep coolant past the shaft.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Its not the rubber, thats just a below of sorts to allow the actual seal to self level. The seal consists of a carbon ring and ceramic ring that constantly press and spin against each other, they are pushed together via a spring which sits over the said rubber below. The carbon ring is what can eventually wear out. Other areas that leak is the sealing of the below or it rupturing itself. Posibly also the ceramic to housing sealing can fail. usually they are just pressed in lightly with an o-ring under them.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I haven't yet had an aftermarket pump fail on me, just the original high mileage factory pump. In my case they all started leaking from the hole under the bearing as they are designed to do.

I can't see the pellets making any difference as I don't see GMB (or any other manufacturer) putting a special seal in the V6 pump but rather the same type of seal they put in every other pump they make. More likely that some foreign mater in the coolant system has damaged the pump seal or just a cheap seal that has worn out.

I have 2 GMB pumps in the garage, one as above with the cast impeller as well as one with the stamped steel impeller. Both I believe are GMB Japan.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Both mine are like the middle pic, GMB but no japan on the casting. I do recall made in japan on the box though as I always check.

Like immortality, only had the genuine factory pumps fail once and it was a lowish mileage one. About 100-120k on it. Bearing disintegrated but did not leak though.

Speaking of pumps, sort of thinking of using one of those electric pumps, but how do you route the belt on a buick where you get decent belt contact? googled it a fair bit, seems only sicsix have ever used one and taken a pic in Australia, that was an ecotec anyway.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Electric pumps don't last many hours good on a drag car that runs for 5 minutes a meeting
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

According to a few posts people using the meziere pumps reckon they lasted longer the OEM ones for them, some said nearly 20 years with about 100k but most were over 10 years with daily driven. I know the other cheaper electric external pumps only last a few years.