cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

...VX drivers passenger door wont open

Post by psyolent »

So heres an interesting one.
The missus VX drivers side passenger door won't open. At all.

The internal snipper button does not move up nor down.
The external handle has some resistance but, not the usual you would expect to actuate the open mechanism.
The internal handle still moves and you can hear the rod moving inside the door. There is a 'notchiness' when you first move the lever however (to open it)

I've had to fix a rear door on a VH wagon before. That was easy as the skin mostly came off with the rear seat removed. The VX on the other hand, the door skin won't make it out alive. Any thoughts/suggestions please?
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
80gus

Re: ...VX drivers passenger door wont open

Post by 80gus »

I'm not sure how the commodores are layed out, but i did this once on a land-cruiser by opening the B pillar cover I could get access to the striker latch bolts from the back, i cut a slot in them and wound them out from inside the pillar, zero damage except the bolts.
madmaxisback
cars: VN Calais
VK Berlina

Re: ...VX drivers passenger door wont open

Post by madmaxisback »

Hi mate. The snib is linked to a weak piece of plastic on the lock or handle itself (inside trim). They fail and the inside handle won't operate if this happens.

Follow some of this video and see if you can get the snib off and hook the mechanism to open the door near the outside handle from inside snib hole and from top. Your trying to catch the actual locking mechanism release with a hook of some sort.

Replace the outside handle with a working one (colour coded - eBay maybe) and it will be fixed. Sometimes the snib itself can get stripped on the shaft too. I normally change this same time.

Tip: don't close door until the handle is removed or replaced or you will need to jag the mechanism again! :thumbdown:

Door trims off:
https://youtu.be/mWAvQcXlRoA

VZ type but similar:
https://youtu.be/CkLf02jk6ro