Aftermarket Shifter Cables

For non EFI mechanical discussion
brindo

Aftermarket Shifter Cables

Post by brindo »

Hi Everybody,
Bit of a left field question. I have bought a cheap 98 RAV4 for my kids to learn to drive in. It’s actually in pretty good condition so it’s almost a shame it will never be registered. The reason it was cheap though was it had a gearbox issue, which I have found is the shifter cable broken.

But a new shifter cable from Toyota actually costs more than what I paid for the car. I’ve tried a few wreckers and it seems the shifter cables are sold off pretty quick if they’re still any good. I’ll keep trying the wreckers, but does anyone know of a supplier of non genuine cables who can supply one for a manual RAV4?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Aftermarket Shifter Cables

Post by vlad01 »

Try auto cables in Melbourne, they can made you one from your old one. Really good quality, (better than OEM) and pretty cheap. I got them to make me VP handbrake cables, throttle and clutch ones. I paid only few 100 for 2 of each, so 6 cables in all. Genuine jap car parts prices are disgusting imho.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Re: Aftermarket Shifter Cables

Post by oldn64 »

Brindo,

it is a toyota, I doubt it will be a rav4 part only. You man need to look at other models in the range to get the same part for less or a part from a wreck. I do not have my parts book in front of me but a Celica might have the same stuff. Toyota are very good at parts bin stuff. Hence all our commodore parts fit the lexcan.... LOL...

;)

cheers
oldn64