For non EFI mechanical discussion
Madmatt2006
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

VZ engine swap not running

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Guy's I'm new here :thumbup:

So here's the story I was surfing around the web and saw a 2006 VZ SVZ v6 190KW ute for sale it was not running but the price was right! so I brought it. When I go the ute home I tried starting the ute but it just popped and farted not starting, I used scan tool and to my surprise no error! so I tried a few things to get it going. When I got the car it was not the original engine and it was not running! it had the original ECU on a replacement engine.

1 changed fuel pump with same result.

So I decided to check spark and fuel both working. Then give it a compression test it was down on all cylinders. I heard timing chains stretch. So top of motor off and front engine cover. Yep it had jumped.

2 replaced timing chain and gears.

reassembled and tried to start same result pops farts but no starting. Dam it lol

3 replaced spark plugs and checked all coil packs all ok

still same result!

So I came to conclusion motor was stuffed.

4 installed replacement motor with all accessories and wiring with a known runner works good and change ECU off old motor.

Plug in all wiring triple checked everything try to start just pops and farts... at this stage I'm like what the hell is wrong. Still no errors with scan tool. has to be stuffed computer..

So I get onto a mate of a mate with a good scan tool, He reprogrammed as 06 BCM and PIM to work with ECU off replacement motor no errors all talking happily.

Tried to start pops farts but not starting.

So car has new fuel pump, replacement motor, replaced ECU and still will not run!

So I looked in to it further and I think the motor that was in it was and 05 and the replacement I got was an 05 motor but the car and ecu bcm are 06 looking around web and post in this forum I discovered the cam position sensors are different. see below

is the engine not running because its an 05 motor with cam sensor like below and the ECU BCM PIM are programed as 06

the car is an 06 that should have cam sensors like this on the motor.

do you think this why the car will not run? :sad2:
Comcal76

Re: VZ engine swap not running

Post by Comcal76 »

These engine's are known for flooding very easy have you tried holding your accelerator flat to the floor and cranking.
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Comcal76 :)

Yes I have tried the old foot flat to the floor on the first engine and the second one also tired to start many times :thumbup: I have tried all the main things that's why I have come to the conclusion about the cam position sensors being different.

is the engine not running because its an 05 motor with cam sensor like below and the ECU BCM PIM are programed as 06

the car is an 06 that should have cam sensors like this on the motor.

do you think this why the car will not run? :sad2:

See the post here https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewt ... 6&start=10

this part

Re: VZ engine swaps

Postby Holden202T » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:56 am
be careful swapping cam sensors etc .... I've seen it done and didn't work, on future investigation the difference in sensors also meant the chopper wheels on the cam shafts had different slots in them!
Comcal76

Post by Comcal76 »

I'm not sure mate.

someone with more knowledge about vz's might step in just have to be patient.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I've had this fault present at my shop and have fixed it by changing the timing cover and sensors... it could be possible to reprogram the pcm to suit but I'm sure that by the time you work that out you could have the correct cover and sensors fitted?..

But.... both times I've had this, the vehicle drove (albeit limped) in, the motor would run on the crank sensor. I'm sure you have a different and possibly several issues all at the same time.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Guy's

I was thinking the same thing! either change the timing cover and cam sensors or reprogram. The car currently has the ecu and bcm off the replacement motor I purchased 05 model which was out of a running car (keep in mind 05 sensors) but my mate re-flashed as 06 (different sensors) do you recon if my mate flashed it as on 05 it would run? sounds much easier to reprogram. because the other option is to change cam sensors (different plug) so engine wiring loom and timing covers? :thumbup:

thanks Guy's
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Sure, but it *should* start now even with the wrong sensors. I think keeping all the software standard OS and changing the hardware to suit is the best way forward, it just gets complicated and makes future fault diagnostics hard.

I'd try unplugging all the cam sensors to force limp mode and see if it will run.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Sorry for late reply, but yeah dealt with this couple of times & depending on software number I've even had to use 190Kw files in 175Kw models just to get them running or vice versa, as I said which I've had to do previously.
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

just to clarify when you say "cam covers" do you mean the metal thing the cam sensor see's I circle in red see above ( I hear they are different 05/06 ) to suit different sensor
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Biggvl wrote:Sure, but it *should* start now even with the wrong sensors. I think keeping all the software standard OS and changing the hardware to suit is the best way forward, it just gets complicated and makes future fault diagnostics hard.

I'd try unplugging all the cam sensors to force limp mode and see if it will run.
I unplugged the 4 cam sensors and it started :driving: "Biggvl" Your an Awesome Man! :thumbup: thank you very much for the suggestion "try unplugging all the cam sensors to force limp mode and see if it will run" you have made year mate :punk:

Thanks to all the other members for their help :thumbup:

Going to try re flash car as 05 model to see if it runs with the cam sensors attached.

I'll post back the results :D