VZ engine swap not running

For non EFI mechanical discussion
Madmatt2006
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Re: VZ engine swap not running

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Biggvl wrote:Yes it is, you need to lock the cams, mark the crank location, use a long thin screw driver to push the tensioner back and another person to swap the cogs.
Awesome thanks mate :thumbup: didn't want to do front cover it's a pain in the a$$ :lol:
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Compared to what it’s been so far that’s easy :roll:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Biggvl wrote:Compared to what it’s been so far that’s easy :roll:
For sure, I might get to it this weekend since not to hard. I have to do my daughters WH statesman Saturday roadworthy stuff her first car!. Hoping Sunday I might get the chance :thumbup: if not have to wait till next weekend at least it's a long one!
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Honestly Matt,

pull the covers. This means you can make sure everything is right then reassemble. While you think it is a pain it will be more of a pain if you drop the chain or just a tooth. Just take the right approach. At least you know roughly where the issue is. would be great that after the swap the car just fires and runs like a train. Something to consider for myself seeing I am seriously looking at playing with a alloytech for a race motor.... :think: Might have to start with a VE base to make parts in future simpler.

cheers
oldn64
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

oldn64 wrote:Honestly Matt,

pull the covers. This means you can make sure everything is right then reassemble. While you think it is a pain it will be more of a pain if you drop the chain or just a tooth. Just take the right approach. At least you know roughly where the issue is. would be great that after the swap the car just fires and runs like a train. Something to consider for myself seeing I am seriously looking at playing with a alloytech for a race motor.... :think: Might have to start with a VE base to make parts in future simpler.

cheers
oldn64
Hi Oldn64 :)

If I take the front off the motor I would replace the timing chains at the same time, Ive done that before it's a real pain! But the chains have been done in this engine before. I'm going to try the locking method and if the chain slips I have no choice but to do it the long way I guess :( As long as the cams are locked and the chain don't move should be all good! :thumbup:

I'd get an ls1 for racing my mate runs one at wilby park in an FC Holden with a commodore chassis and an LS1 it flies! :driving:
daz fc.jpg
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Madmatt2006 wrote:
oldn64 wrote:Honestly Matt,

cheers
oldn64
Hi Oldn64 :)

If I take the front off the motor I would replace the timing chains at the same time, Ive done that before it's a real pain! But the chains have been done in this engine before. I'm going to try the locking method and if the chain slips I have no choice but to do it the long way I guess :( As long as the cams are locked and the chain don't move should be all good! :thumbup:

I'd get an ls1 for racing my mate runs one at wilby park in an FC Holden with a commodore chassis and an LS1 it flies! :driving:
daz fc.jpg
That is a scarey pic.... I know of the car and yes it does fly. As far as the LS1 goes the class for my daughter will not allow it. So i have to play on the v6 side. I might even have to go 4 cylinder yet.... she is 13 so is fairly restricted. Once she is 16 then yes I can get her into the v8. Although I suspect she will have a brown pants moment and will not get back into the car. Ideally I woudl love to build her a datsun 1600 running the patrol v8, but they are very hard to find and stupidly priced. I expect I will most likely start with a KE70 or KE55 corolla and then look at the 1u 0r 3u v8. Would love the lexus 5.7L but again stupid coin. Reasons for this is I would like her to be eventually able to qualify for vicv8's. I was considering a mx5, however mazda do not really have a v8 option thus it becomes a short time plan.

good luck :thumbup:

cheers
oldn64
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

I'd go a commodore V6 there dirt cheap and parts everywhere, When my son raced that's what he had.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

If your taking sprocket gears off you'll also need the chain tool to hold pressure on tensioner so it doesn't pop out(even with the tool can be awkward!).
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Guy's :D

a quick update I took the cam phasers and sensors off my brothers motor, you can't just swap the phasers over because the chains are different! so looks like no choice have to take front off motor and change all gears and chains. I will post back on the weekend after I swap it all over :thumbup:
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Madmatt2006 wrote:Hi Guy's :D

a quick update I took the cam phasers and sensors off my brothers motor, you can't just swap the phasers over because the chains are different! so looks like no choice have to take front off motor and change all gears and chains. I will post back on the weekend after I swap it all over :thumbup:
I was going to mention that there are 4 different chains for these motors and that they differ. I just was not sure whether the ones you currently had were the same as the phasers you where going for. Should have highlights that there might be a issue and that you need to check it. Sorry :(

cheers
oldn64