psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

VT1 - How Much Rear Camber

Post by psyolent »

So the VT which I want to peddle around a track given its an S1 has non abjustable rear camber. Sitting on SL springs the rear camber is alot (how much I don't know) but you can see its excessive.
As this thing is going to be on a track where you actually want *some* negative camber, is this a bad thing? ie: how much negative is too much?
ie this much
Attachments
camber
camber
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: VT1 - How Much Rear Camber

Post by vlad01 »

I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

For fun track days minus 2 on the rear and minus 3 on the front.But daily driving you get moderate to serious tyre wear.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

For a race car when mileage isn't an issue some rear camber isn't a problem, if anything, desirable. The problem with the IRS is the change in camber/toe as the suspension moves through it's range of motion. Anything pre VX II (unless it's a HSV VT GTS) is more problematic as they don't have the extra toe link.

This covers the problem in detail http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/WL ... e_link.pdf
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Interesting read there, basically the later rear ends sort out the bump steer and use less rear camber, there fore keeping the tyre tread at a more relevant angle to the road.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
immortality

Post by immortality »

Fairly much.

The sad thing is (or so my understanding is) the original IRS system design had the toe links but Holden decided they weren't needed. My VS IRS has the ears on the hub castings where the original toe links would have been fitted.

Our VX II is running on Low springs (a touch lower than FE2 in the rear) has only very slight amount of rear camber but has no rear tyre wear issues.
psyolent
VX Berlina Series 1
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

On the hub castings yes, but the mounts on the cradle no - the later VXII rear cradle is better. I have access to one so I'll grab it and swap it. The amount of camber in the rear is too excessive and won't be good.
Cheers,

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yep, they saved on costs not welding on the brackets for the toe links...

It's a shame I can't change the rear subframe on the VS to the later spec unit :(
immortality

Post by immortality »

I should add that someone makes a kit that allows you to cut off the original subframe swing arm mounts and weld on new ones as well as modify the arms to help improve the geometry. There is a thread on the Commodores Plus forum that has pics of the mods.
psyolent
VX Berlina Series 1
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

Cheers,