Engine oil cooler on 5 litre

For non EFI mechanical discussion
mpdaff
cars: VS 5l
80 series Landcruiser with VT HSV 195kw engine

Engine oil cooler on 5 litre

Post by mpdaff »

Looking to put an engine oil cooler onto my 5L.
I am hoping some of you may be able to share your experiences with engine oil coolers, Pro's & Cons.
Thank you all in advance
brindo

Re: Engine oil cooler on 5 litre

Post by brindo »

Sorry no experience in oil cooling a Holden V8. But any oil cooler set up is going to be tricky and expensive particularly if you need to put a thermostat in there for an air cooled exchanger. Water cooled might get away without it. There’s plenty of oil filter adapters available to run oil to and from a cooler.

But just wondering if you know what the oil temperature is now? And is it a problem? It might be worth investing $30 in an oil sample to see if the oil temperature is causing any issues like oxidation. The easiest cheapest option might just be to reduce the oil change intervals. Or run a better oil? Another compromise might be to run a cooler coolant thermostat as oil temp is usually related to JW temp. Or is there an oil pressure issue when the oil is hot?
mpdaff

Post by mpdaff »

Hi Brindo, thanks for your reply. Oil temp gets to 125 degrees c when towing 2 tonne at 100km/h to 110km/h for more than 1.5 hours. Put the air cond on & she heads into the 130's..
Coolant temp sits at 95 to 103 degrees c under these conditions.
Biggest contributing factor is how close the exhaust sits under the engine sump. I have proven this with the fitment of a single length of exhaust wrap clamped in place.
I have decided to remove the exhaust system & get it ceramic coated.
I am pretty sure this will rectify the problem, & remove the need for me to consider an oil cooler any further.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

That's definitely getting up there temp wise.

What is the rest of the towing setup?
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Ceramic coating will definitely help, however a simple piece of aluminum sheet inbetween the heat source and object will work far better.

Putting the two together is even better.

-Enjoy
: )_~
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
mpdaff

Post by mpdaff »

Thanks for the replies Immortality & Gampy.
The rest of the towing set up is in an 80 Series Landcruiser. Std Toyota gearbox etc

There is minimal clearance between the sump & the exhaust. With a single layer of exhaust wrap fitted there is about 3 mm.
Mind you that one piece of wrap has made a big difference in controlling the temp.
No room to fit a piece of alloy as a heat shield.

Will try the ceramic coating & see what improvements it makes.

IF the ceramic coating does not do the job, I am also looking at directing air flow towards the filter & the sump. The bullbar does not provide a lot of air flow to these areas, so I am thinking of getting some brake air ducts & mounting into the bullbar & then using flexible ducting to control the flow to the right areas.