VS Ecotec Timing Chain

For non EFI mechanical discussion
VSRaptor
cars: Vp Commodore V8
Vs Commodore ute V6

Re: VS Ecotec Timing Chain

Post by VSRaptor »

If you watch on YouTube, mellings show how they prime a LS pump after a engine rebuild.
https://youtu.be/539ClWWJMl8
Last edited by VSRaptor on Thu May 23, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VSRaptor
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

vlad01 wrote:I once had an engine so dry it wouldn't prime, even after cranking until the battery died with the plugs out. Turned out that since the engine sat for some 15 years all traces of oil in the pump were gone. I had to remove the oil pressure switch and pour in oil there to get some oil into the pump, oil filter method didn't work.

Got it primed in the end though.

In my new engine in the VP I packed the pump with petroleum jelly as I knew it would sit for a year or 2 before starting. Did the trick nearly 2 years after assembly. For a few weeks to a few months oil would be fine.
Did you pack it under the gears in the timing cover cavity and the pump gears as well?
Does oil have to be changed after using petro jelly?
VSRaptor
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

Finally managed to set aside some free time to do the timing chain. Well the tensioner guide is completely gone. Fitted the new crow timing chain and new tensioner. Sprocket says JP and I wonder if crow uses their stuff but package it under the crow name. The gasket the factory ecotec uses on the timing cover and oil filter housing is really good, can't seem to find that style anymore, all paper stuff.
Attachments
20190526_105939.jpg
20190527_142543.jpg
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

The tensioner was certainly well worn.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

That tensioner is about what to expect from a high mileage engine. Intense and ZZP do original gaskets.
http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/mer ... de=3800_GH
VSRaptor
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

The Holden factory manual and even the GM Buick manual mention the cam sprocket bolt to be tighten to 90 to 110nm plus 86 to 94 degree angle turn. Ellery manual state 30 to 40 nm. I know when I loosened the nut, it was far more than the 30 mm, more like my wheel nuts torque.
I can see why it has to be that tight, it has the cam sprocket, the balance shaft drive gear behind the cam sprocket, the balance shaft gear and the shaft itself. That cam sprocket bolt is rotating quite a few parts responsible for taking out the vibrations.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

My manual states 190-200nm but the initial torque plus degrees is a more accurate method.

ZZP states

74 ft/lbs (100Nm) + 90 degrees. This is what I used.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VSRaptor
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

The harmonic balancer bolt, what is the red stuff under the bolt flange on the inside? Thread sealant? It's like a orange/brown color to stop the oil seeoing past I guess.
It has a small amount of rtv in the balncer keyway from someone who removed it before.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Thats a pre applied dry sealant.

Just add a very thin coat of RTV or loctite flange sealant under the head of the bolt and torque to 300Nm.

If there is RTV on the keyway then someone has been in there and incorrectly applied it. It should only be under the head of the bolt.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VSRaptor
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

I did put a very small amount rtv under the bolt flange where that factory stuff was. The rtv in the balancer keyway is perfectly shaped to the key on the crank, no excess rtv protruding out of the edges nor any on the crank key or shaft at all, looks like it's been put there when made from the factory. There is no other rtv inside the balancer bolt hole.
Made my own bar to hold the balancer to torque it to the 300nm spec. Makes life easy.
Attachments
20190523_114753.jpg
20190529_161229.jpg