VS Ecotec Timing Chain

For non EFI mechanical discussion
delcowizzid

Re: VS Ecotec Timing Chain

Post by delcowizzid »

Georotor style pumps dont need primed they self prime very easy compared to a gear pump.if you cleaned it all out and washed it just oil it up on assembly
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VSRaptor
cars: Vp Commodore V8
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

When sealing the front timing cover and the sump gasket (the front and rear corners under the timing cover and rear cover plate), is rtv used or flange sealant like loctite 515?
The1

Post by The1 »

i think from the holden manual they say to pack petroleum jelly in the pump before you put the plate back on or i guess you could put some assembly lube over it to?
VSRaptor
cars: Vp Commodore V8
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

The1 wrote:i think from the holden manual they say to pack petroleum jelly in the pump before you put the plate back on or i guess you could put some assembly lube over it to?
I just downloaded a factory CD manual and saw that it mentions pack the gear cavity with petroleum grease. I guess half filling a oil filter doesn't hurt.
I saw how they do a LS oil pump prime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=539ClWWJMl8

delcowizzid made a valid point being a georotor style pump but better to be safe than taking off the front cover again.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yep o ring on the oil pickup tube.

i guess you could prime the pump, i've never done more than put a bit of oil in the pump as its being assembled, then fill the filter with oil before attaching to the motor .... they are not known for being bad to get oil up!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I once had an engine so dry it wouldn't prime, even after cranking until the battery died with the plugs out. Turned out that since the engine sat for some 15 years all traces of oil in the pump were gone. I had to remove the oil pressure switch and pour in oil there to get some oil into the pump, oil filter method didn't work.

Got it primed in the end though.

In my new engine in the VP I packed the pump with petroleum jelly as I knew it would sit for a year or 2 before starting. Did the trick nearly 2 years after assembly. For a few weeks to a few months oil would be fine.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

whats what i fill the filter, it runs back into the pump.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

The anti drain stopped the oil getting to the pump, hence why I put it in via the oil pressure switch.

I even had to put oil in the bores as they were so dry there was next to no compression.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
brindo

Post by brindo »

Had a mate who had built an engine and to fill the sump, bought a cheap weed sprayer, pulled the spray lance off it, and connected the hose to the oil pressure switch port with a barbed fitting.
Filled the weed sprayer up with oil and primed the engine and oil galleries. Just clamped the hose to start and stop flow. Cheap and simple.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I used petroleum jelly in the pump of the red vp engine, primed no probs and holds oil pressure after shut down for ages. Over 1 min when cold.