253 v8 starter motor help

For non EFI mechanical discussion
Madmatt2006
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

253 v8 starter motor help

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Guys :D now the VZ ute is sorted thanks to a heap or help :thumbup: I'm starting to order parts for the VH commodore. Dizzy, leads and coil are on the way! Looking at new carbies. But one thing I need a little help with is the starter motor, I'm looking at one on ebay they say there is 2 types :wtf:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-STARTER ... 2964394338

I don't have the old starter motor! so how can I tell if it's the right one? :think:

if you need any pictures let me know I will post them :thumbup:
Comcal76

Re: 253 v8 starter motor help

Post by Comcal76 »

https://www.kingswoodcountry.com.au/buy ... k70-0114-c

This one matches the one on the right with the X.
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

They have to be built with the nose of solenoid slightly back or turned, otherwise they hit the casting on the block.
When I was a teen and had no money and I had a v6 one which fits in every respect except hits the ribbing on the block. So out came the angle grinder :shock:
Please anyone don’t do this. It’s a fair bit of metal to remove and the car was on its last legs.
So the one in your listing should fit. Now they make them with the solenoid 90 degrees a lot like the one with the x, this is fine but depends on what exhaust you have. The one with the tick is the type I use and they are out the way of everything.
Please don’t shoot me if the Chinese got it wrong. :lol:
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

All Holden V8 starters interchange and fit around the block, its just about exhaust and chassis rail clearance.

The comparison picture is not very clever because they have rotated the version on the right 90 degrees so the difference isn't immediately obvious! They should match up the angles of the red segment line.

Your original one probably had the solenoid out to the side but also would have been a physically larger motor. Unless you have an oddball set of extractors the later style with the solenoid on top (tucked in against the block) generally fits and offers more clearance all round.
Madmatt2006
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Thanks Guys :thumbup: I'm ordering it now, The 253 has extractors so it's a tight fit :D now to get a carby so I can fire this baby up :thumbup: