253 V8 carby selection

For non EFI mechanical discussion
'quipt4it

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by 'quipt4it »

Last edited by 'quipt4it on Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

You're right, it's not needed, if one desires to pull the valve cover ... However, it can be done without doing so.

[edit]
Without taking another shortcut using the current rotor position and working from there ... Please don't do that, start over, follow the proper procedure.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

GAMPY YOU ARE A TURD.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

'quipt4it wrote:GAMPY YOU ARE A TURD.
I surely didn't mean to offend you!

I think you are knowledgable and helpful.
Your knowledge and understanding affords you the ability to take shortcuts.

However, IMO, to walk (teach) someone that doesn't have that knowledge and understanding through shortcuts is dangerous and doesn't give them clear understanding.

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Madmatt2006
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Is this a good way of finding top dead? I has not looking at the mark on the harmonic balancer to align with 0. Also this guy has the Dizzy in while doing it. I had it out and was turning the rotor to no1 mark on distributor. :think:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPit8uTSHzg[/youtube]

Guy's There was nothing wrong with what I was told to do. I just did it wrong that is my fault and no one else's. So no one should be blaming anyone but me! 8-)
Gampy wrote:
'quipt4it wrote:GAMPY YOU ARE A TURD.
I surely didn't mean to offend you!

I think you are knowledgable and helpful.
Your knowledge and understanding affords you the ability to take shortcuts.

However, IMO, to walk (teach) someone that doesn't have that knowledge and understanding through shortcuts is dangerous and doesn't give them clear understanding.
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Also I didn't mention I primed the oil pump like suggested and also primed the entire engine with and engine oil pump on the engine oil pump, it pumped through the entire engine not at to many psi about half what the motor can take about 1 liter of oil.

mixed advice is good :thumbup:

It will be fine every bearing will already have oil :D
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

The only way I advocate finding TDC#1 Compression is by observing the #1 cylinders valve action ... Thus pulling the valve cover.

Rotate the motor by hand, when the #1 cylinders intake valve closes (all the way up) it is coming up on compression, slowly rotate to the TDC mark on balancer.

Rotation is typically clockwise looking at the front of the motor, sneaking up on the mark and not passing it, if you pass it, backup at least 20 degrees and sneak up on it again.

It's not the bearings that are of concern, it's the cam lobes and lifters, they only get oil by splash and drain back.

Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Gampy wrote:The only way I advocate finding TDC#1 Compression is by observing the #1 cylinders valve action ... Thus pulling the valve cover.

Rotate the motor by hand, when the #1 cylinders intake valve closes (all the way up) it is coming up on compression, slowly rotate to the TDC mark on balancer.

Rotation is typically clockwise looking at the front of the motor, sneaking up on the mark and not passing it, if you pass it, backup at least 20 degrees and sneak up on it again.

It's not the bearings that are of concern, it's the cam lobes and lifters, they only get oil by splash and drain back.

Did I see you call me an Amateur in one of your earlier posts and edited it out? :wtf: or was I seeing things :o
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Madmatt2006 wrote:Did I see you call me an Amateur in one of your earlier posts and edited it out? :wtf: or was I seeing things :o
Absolutely not ... If you saw it, it didn't come from me, not my style!

Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Gampy wrote:
Madmatt2006 wrote:Did I see you call me an Amateur in one of your earlier posts and edited it out? :wtf: or was I seeing things :o
Absolutely not ... If you saw it, it didn't come from me, not my style!
Must have had beer eye's 8-)