Madmatt2006
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by Madmatt2006 »

'quipt4it wrote:.
Madmatt2006 wrote:
'quipt4it wrote:That was painful to watch.
I knew I should have told you to use the 'both valves closed' method. I thought I would save you time and a rocker cover gasket. When it backfires like that, quit trying to start.
As mentioned in my previous post, put up the distributor pic showing no.1 terminal @ TDC, compression stroke.
Will take some pictures in the morning :thumbup: I have a spare set of rocker cover gaskets in the shed :D

"When it backfires like that, quit trying to start." note taken :o
Checked everything before moving or changing :thumbup: everything looks ok to me :? might have to turn dizzy a little or did I get number 1 wrong on the dizzy :hmm: Some pictures

Harmonic position
Timing harmonic.jpg
piston top dead for sure
piston 1 top dead for sure.jpg
Dizzy position
Dizzy 1.jpg
Dizzy 2.jpg
The cap my thumb is on number one in the pictures
cap 1.jpg
cap2.jpg
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Fug! I'm not on zero degrees :lol: am I :?:
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

It would be my recommendation to paint the notch in the balancer white ... Or some light reflective type color, I use Silver Sharpies, fingernail polish also works well.

I do not know the hairy details of the Holden 253 (or any Holden), I do not know what the base timing should be, I do not know the cylinder layout, I do not know the firing order, I do not know the distributor rotation, I do not know the timing mark increments.

However, if the timing pointer marks are at 2 degree increment, then it looks like the crank is at 12 degrees BTDC ... Is 12 degrees BTDC the base timing ??
(As set by timing light at idle with vacuum advanced disconnected and the vacuum leak plugged)

The angles of the images make it hard to see accurately, it could easily be a tooth or so off and not noticeable, however If you are sure it is on #1 compression stroke, and #1 is the one marked in red in the below image, then you don't appear to be to far off, it should be close enough to run ... However the timing will be off and needs to be set with a timing light.
cap2-#1Wire.png
cap2-#1Wire.png (616.54 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
How and when do you plan on setting the timing accurately ??
Or have you already fired it up ??
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Guy's Went digging around the shed and found my timing light, I think all I need to workout is the right timing marks on the timing case :hmm: once I work this out and time with the light should be good.

When Super Balance rebuilt the bottom end I had a look it had a shit ton of break in grease, I also soaked the lifters pour oil all over cam and and lifter and down middle of motor.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Madmatt2006 wrote:I think all I need to workout is the right timing marks on the timing case
This can be figured out mathematically if nothing else ...
Madmatt2006 wrote:and time with the light
How are you going to do that, you going to start the motor to do it ??

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Turns out the "quipt4it" way works perfectly, so turns out he was exactly right! and everything he said was right and made sense to me so turns out he is a Fucking LEGEND :thumbup: 8-) . What I did wrong :shh: I was a plug over one the distributor all the leads so firing was way out and firing order issue :lol: she runs now!

One problem I had to turn the engine off because temperature gauge went up really quick. but I can still put my finger in the radiator water and if it was as hot as the temp gauge said I would have burn my finger off :think: I could even touch the heads and block not really that hot at all. Any ideas? :think: did I get the wrong wire Mr. "quipt4it" 8-) :thumbup:

Will post a video after temp gauge is sorted :punk:
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Of course he is, no one said (or implied) he was wrong ...

That is EXACTLY why I use manual gauges for startups!

And how did you finally figure out it was wired wrong ??

Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Gampy wrote:
And how did you finally figure out it was wired wrong ??
That video of the Guy doing this timing on the HQ 253! he should have shown where no.1 was on the distributor cap. I had to freeze the video to see, then realized in my picture with my thumb marking no.1 on distributor cap was different to his. Where the dizzy cap clips on to the Dizzy the little lump, his was left mine was right to that. They didn't mark the cap I had indicating position no.1 that's where it all went wrong! :thumbup:

uploading video of engine start and run now. Will be up soon, I can tell you right now I would not have got this engine running without "quipt4it" help! :D
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Mr. Antus are my PM's being monitored :wtf: are they getting approved before they go through :think: sitting outbox for a long time :lol:

Probably just paranoid me! :punk: