vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: 253 V8 carby selection

Post by vlad01 »

brindo wrote:That cam retainer doesn’t look quite right. Is the bolt tight or is there something else going on?
It also looks like the ear on it for the oil pump drive is bent and cracked.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
brindo

Post by brindo »

There could be a lot of unknowns with this engine that the photos will never show. And thats even before it gets measured up. The one thing that is known is that it will cost you money to get running.

Might be best to track down another engine, either a runner or one someone has spent a small fortune on reconditioning.

If your committed to rebuilding that engine, maybe look into whether the TAFE colleges can do the machining for you. They used to years ago as they needed the engines for the apprentices to work on. Not sure about now, but they were cheap.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Wow .140 over, that's incredible!
However, I don't think it will cleanup with .100 over, the pitting looks around .050 deep, obviously a guess from probable deceiving images.

Last time I checked (it's been a few years) in the US it's about US$100 a hole with straight sleeves, flange sleeves are a bit more.

IMO unless it's something special, it's not worth it ...

That hurts, been there!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i see an alloytec in the back ground, i say put that in instead :)
Madmatt2006
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Gampy wrote:No doubt that cannot be bored for oversize ... a sleeve is in that blocks future else it's a boat anchor!

I would get those rod caps back on the rods ASAP! Those get mixed up, that becomes a big unnecessary expense.
Leaving them separate is a disaster waiting to happen.
Will put the rod caps on tonight :thumbup: a sleeve would be the cheapest option for sure wouldn't it? if they sleeve that cylinder can they make it the same size as original so pistons will still fit? trying to keep cost down.

Would this be a possibility? Sleeve the cylinder (so same size) and hone the others, then re ring and bearings :think: then get the heads checked and cleaned up.
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Holden202T wrote:i see an alloytec in the back ground, i say put that in instead :)
looking at how much this is going to cost a vn v8 smashed would be cheaper, do a k frame swap.
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

brindo wrote:There could be a lot of unknowns with this engine that the photos will never show. And thats even before it gets measured up. The one thing that is known is that it will cost you money to get running.

Might be best to track down another engine, either a runner or one someone has spent a small fortune on reconditioning.

If your committed to rebuilding that engine, maybe look into whether the TAFE colleges can do the machining for you. They used to years ago as they needed the engines for the apprentices to work on. Not sure about now, but they were cheap.
I'm hoping i can get my money back on the engine at worst. If it's going to cost a small fortune to fix. I have a relative that is a teacher at the local TAFE diesel mechanic :think: I'd be willing to spend about $1500 to get this engine running though. Looking at my options at the moment :)
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

vlad01 wrote:
brindo wrote:That cam retainer doesn’t look quite right. Is the bolt tight or is there something else going on?
It also looks like the ear on it for the oil pump drive is bent and cracked.
Yes it's cracked also :lol:
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Any ideas of how much a machine shop would charge worst case scenario? re-boar new pistons, rings, bearings and all the other stuff. Like a short motor rebuild.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Not sure but it cost me bit over 1k for all the machine work including rebore on my 6 but I supplied the pistons, the rest they supplied, bearings etc. I would expect for an 8 to be around $1500 ? maybe?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.