Fuel Sender Adjustment

For non EFI mechanical discussion
vn_ss_cm
cars: VN SS

Fuel Sender Adjustment

Post by vn_ss_cm »

Hello Guys,

Im running a custom drop tank with a VT Fuel pump assembley complete with fuel level sender. The problem I have is VN is 283ohm Empty and 40 Full where the VT is 243 Full and 40 Empty. I have flipped the float around so now its
243 Empty and 40 full but im wondering is there any tricks I can do so its 283ohm? I have tried placing a resistor in series but all it has done is corrected the full ohm but altered the empty to 77ohms.

cheers Guys
j_ds_au

Re: Fuel Sender Adjustment

Post by j_ds_au »

vn_ss_cm wrote:Hello Guys,

Im running a custom drop tank with a VT Fuel pump assembley complete with fuel level sender. The problem I have is VN is 283ohm Empty and 40 Full where the VT is 243 Full and 40 Empty. I have flipped the float around so now its
243 Empty and 40 full but im wondering is there any tricks I can do so its 283ohm? I have tried placing a resistor in series but all it has done is corrected the full ohm but altered the empty to 77ohms.

cheers Guys
I'm pretty sure low resistance is full, high resistance is empty. So you can achieve 243-40 ohm but want 283-40 ohm. You can't really get that. The best you can do is experiment with a resistor added in parallel with the gauge to achieve an empty reading at 243 ohm. This will slightly affect the full reading at 40 ohms, but to a lesser extent.

Joe.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Re: Fuel Sender Adjustment

Post by VK_3800 »

If its actually possible to get the minimum and maximum figures you require out of the sender unit itself then you can alter the length of the float arm so it corresponds with full and empty positions. It may be possible to swap to a thinner float to achieve the same thing if its not far off.

e.g. this is a VN sender adapted to fit a modified Torana tank, you can see I cut and shut the float arm:

(Obviously a lot easier with the tank out but you get the idea)