gm door chime with aftermarket radio

For non EFI mechanical discussion
DethRattles
cars: 2004 Grand am gt

gm door chime with aftermarket radio

Post by DethRattles »

Not reinventing the wheel but wondering how they made it. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-st5FATdcx ... rface.html Im installing an aftermarket stereo and need to make the door chime /turn signal and alerts still work without shelling a bunch of money. Has it been done? https://www.reddit.com/r/CarHacking/com ... oor_chime/ Not sure if this is supposed to be in this forum
Gatecrasher

Re: gm door chime with aftermarket radio

Post by Gatecrasher »

I've got something similar in my H3. Can't remember if it's PAC or Metra or what. It's just a dumb little module with an internal speaker that sits on the class 2 data line and listens for the chime message on the bus. I think it can also do steering wheel controls, but my truck doesn't have those, so it doesn't matter.

I've got the class 2 message definition somewhere. I don't remember it being very complicated. There's a chime on/off bit, and then a value for frequency. The hardest part would probably be finding or making a class 2 shield for an arduino.

Or just hunt around the junkyard until you find a car with one of these modules.
DethRattles
cars: 2004 Grand am gt

Re: gm door chime with aftermarket radio

Post by DethRattles »

Gatecrasher wrote:I've got something similar in my H3. Can't remember if it's PAC or Metra or what. It's just a dumb little module with an internal speaker that sits on the class 2 data line and listens for the chime message on the bus. I think it can also do steering wheel controls, but my truck doesn't have those, so it doesn't matter.

I've got the class 2 message definition somewhere. I don't remember it being very complicated. There's a chime on/off bit, and then a value for frequency. The hardest part would probably be finding or making a class 2 shield for an arduino.

Or just hunt around the junkyard until you find a car with one of these modules.

I bought the pac c2r-gmz4 for 22 off ebay. Kinda pissed because i just soldered up my stereo and now have to resolder :thumbdown: