MotronicPlugin - Tuner Pro KWP71 plug-in

Bosch Motronic etc ECUs and PCMs
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

MotronicPlugin - Tuner Pro KWP71 plug-in

Post by festy »

Pre-OBD Bosch Motronic ECUs used a few different communications protocols, one of the main ones being KWP71.
It's a non-standardised protocol, so different manufacturers came up with their own versions :(
It's also a very crappy protocol, very clunky and generally horrible to work with.

After reverse engineering the protocol, I wrote a Tuner Pro RT plug-in that implements basic KWP71 datalogging and emulation, as well as RT with a modified bin and hardware.
It's been tested on Alfa Romeo Motronic M1.3, M1.7, M2.10.3, M2.10.4, M3.7.1 and ML4.1 ECUs, as well as a few other Motronics from Volvo, Opel, Peugeot, Citroen, Fiat etc.

It's still a work in progress, but has been pretty solid for the last 6 months.

It works with a 'dumb' interface like a KKL/VAG-COM/409.1 cable.
Attachments
MotronicPlugin1.0.0.4.zip
MotronicPlugin 1.0.0.4
(580.89 KiB) Downloaded 1590 times
Last edited by festy on Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASM
cars: Opel

Re: MotronicPlugin - Tuner Pro KWP71 plug-in

Post by ASM »

Hello festy.
Is this plug in for RS232 or USB cable? I think for RS232, right? I have a RS232 and a USB cable. Both works on my laptop and communicate with Opel ML4.1.
I test your plugin with TunerPro RT V5 and my RS232 Cable with Opel ML4.2 ECU.

Tools->Pref->PlugIn->Motronic->ComPort that works with my cable and another program
acquisition->load->ML4.1.adx

When i will connected (acquire data button), status bar turns brown "connecting", after 10s is yellow "not connected"

The TunerPro plugin for innovate LC1 works for me, so i think TunerPro is correctly installed.

Is the ML4.1 Plugin not compatible with my Opel?
I want to use it for logging rpm + load from ECU.
festy

Post by festy »

I've used my plug-in with RS232 as well as USB 'KKL' interfaces.
You need to "wake up" the ECU before you can start data acquisition, 'Tools->Initialise emulation hardware' starts the comms session and once that's connected (your ECU hardware ID should appear in the bottom left corner) then you can start data acquisition.

And try this version of the plug-in, it's still a work-in-progress but I've fixed a few things recently.
Attachments
MotronicPlugin.zip
(580.89 KiB) Downloaded 1114 times
ASM
cars: Opel

Post by ASM »

i tested again. Don´t work.
My ALDL program that works, says that the protokoll of my Opel ML4.1 is "KW-9141".
I think that is the reason why it dont work.
In tuner Pro RT i must select a com Port, my USB ALDL Interface has in the windows device Manager no com Port. So i have only tested my RS232 Interface. My USB interface may be have no serial to usb bridge - so there is no COM port.

I have a M1.5.4 ECU with KW-82 protokoll, the same. Don´t work.
tjwasiak
cars: '94 Opel Omega MV6
'98 Opel Omega Sport

Post by tjwasiak »

Festy, tried newer version of your plugin on my M2.8.1 equipped Opel Omega. I have 3 pure RS-232 interfaces (one based on MAX232, one using opto-isolators and another unknown). OP-COM connects to ECU at 9600, I can confirm that at least MAX232 based interface tries to communicate with car (it has a LED indicator) but I am not able to connect. I tried all speeds and even tried different ECU address options (from 0x00 to 0x10) but all attempts failed (no connection after trying to Start Data Scan). Do you have any idea what I can try? I read you started KWP81 version but have not tested it? Maybe my ECU need that?
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Festy mentioned success with a KKL interface. You two may be trying an ALDL interface. They are not the same.

Also, if you have a USB interface that doesn't provide a COM port, I'd be suspecting a fake chip in there (eg. fake FTDI or fake Prolific). I'd be asking questions of your ALDL cable vendor. However, if it's a genuine FTDI, the virtual com port (VCP) feature can be enabled or disabled for some of the newer chips.

Joe.
tjwasiak
cars: '94 Opel Omega MV6
'98 Opel Omega Sport

Post by tjwasiak »

j_ds_au wrote:Festy mentioned success with a KKL interface. You two may be trying an ALDL interface. They are not the same.(...)
Joe, all my RS232 interfaces are for sure generic KKL ones as were used successfully on VAG cars in the past. I do not have any ALDL stuff as I did not have any car using that. I can also try USB interfaces (I have a bunch of them using genuine FTDI chips - for example 2 genuine Ross-Tech VCDS interfaces) but in my case it seems the car is not understanding KWP71 or I do not know proper ECU address.
Maybe Festy (or someone else with proper skills) could make a small program scanning different addresses just to find the proper one?
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Hi tjwasiak,

Thanks for clarifying that. So your problem may be (is) different from ASM's then. Since I don't know about the protocol side of this, I'll have to leave festy to assist ...

Joe.
Mangus

Post by Mangus »

Festy, can I host your plug-in on the TunerPro website?
festy

Post by festy »

Mangus wrote:Festy, can I host your plug-in on the TunerPro website?
Sure, the zip file in the first post has the current version (1.0.0.4).
I'll try to remember to email you any significant updates.