GM E38 E67 E40 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
Horshack

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by Horshack »

Tazzi wrote:Yeah I dont think thats what those files are for.

If the TCM and ECM do not have compatible operating systems, then its not going to play nicely.

Would need to make a middle man module to translate the information to/from both TCM and ECM to make them play nicely with one another.
Assuming that is responding to my post. Supposedly they can speak to each other, but I only have the word of a harness maker on that, not a computer dude. Can't see why they wouldn't be able to, as the Gen 4 and Gen 5 both speak to the 6 speed. Presumably, if the Gen 5 can speak to both the 6 speed and the 8 speed, something between them must be similar enough that the Gen 4 can be made to speak to the 8 speed. But before I go any further, should I keep posting on this thread or start a new one? That post I quoted before made it look like this would be the place.
julespatch
cars: liberty gen 5

Post by julespatch »

yo yo
anyone got any suggestions on what key to try here?

[06:14:44:168] Requested seed frame: 00,00,07,E8,67,01,50,E5,
[06:14:44:169] Module seed is 0x50E5
[06:14:44:170] Calculated key is 0x581D
[06:14:44:180] Key response frame: 00,00,07,E8,7F,27,35,
[06:14:44:181] Key Incorrect, Could be tuner locked
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Horshack wrote:

If the TCM and ECM do not have compatible operating systems, then its not going to play nicely.

Would need to make a middle man module to translate the information to/from both TCM and ECM to make them play nicely with one another.
Assuming that is responding to my post. Supposedly they can speak to each other, but I only have the word of a harness maker on that, not a computer dude. Can't see why they wouldn't be able to, as the Gen 4 and Gen 5 both speak to the 6 speed. Presumably, if the Gen 5 can speak to both the 6 speed and the 8 speed, something between them must be similar enough that the Gen 4 can be made to speak to the 8 speed. But before I go any further, should I keep posting on this thread or start a new one? That post I quoted before made it look like this would be the place.
Probably best in its own thread.

But the best analogy I have to explain this, is imagine having two identical Laptops. One has windows XP, and the other running windows 10.
They both technically use windows and can run programs, but doesnt mean they have the same capabilities or run the same software.

ECUs a similar. The ECU operating system needs to be compatible with the TCM operating system otherwise it will not understand whats going on. I see that regularly here where there is a mismatch between OS's and there will be an actual fault code indicating missing TCM data from the ECM.

As far as Im aware, there was no factory setup between a E67 and T87. Both will be from Global A vehicles, but I believe the E67 still requires a custom touch.
Do you have it fitted already or trying to work out if it works first?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

julespatch wrote:yo yo
anyone got any suggestions on what key to try here?

[06:14:44:168] Requested seed frame: 00,00,07,E8,67,01,50,E5,
[06:14:44:169] Module seed is 0x50E5
[06:14:44:170] Calculated key is 0x581D
[06:14:44:180] Key response frame: 00,00,07,E8,7F,27,35,
[06:14:44:181] Key Incorrect, Could be tuner locked
Tunerlocked. Do you have a vx nano?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
julespatch

Post by julespatch »

nah no nano.
vcm2, mdi, avdi, tactrix are the pass thru arsenal
Horshack

Post by Horshack »

Tazzi wrote:
Horshack wrote:

Probably best in its own thread.

But the best analogy I have to explain this, is imagine having two identical Laptops. One has windows XP, and the other running windows 10.
They both technically use windows and can run programs, but doesnt mean they have the same capabilities or run the same software.

ECUs a similar. The ECU operating system needs to be compatible with the TCM operating system otherwise it will not understand whats going on. I see that regularly here where there is a mismatch between OS's and there will be an actual fault code indicating missing TCM data from the ECM.

As far as Im aware, there was no factory setup between a E67 and T87. Both will be from Global A vehicles, but I believe the E67 still requires a custom touch.
Do you have it fitted already or trying to work out if it works first?
New thread opened, thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6820
julespatch

Post by julespatch »

If I had a nano what could I do? I can get one
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

He's probably got a brute force setup all ready to go for one. Shoot, you have a mdi so I bet he has one that will work for that. I was looking at some e38 logs/dumps earlier and the key is only a few bytes away from the seed and serial number. I don't know much about the mode commands but it would be really cool if we could poll a byte or two with a specific address can message :mrgreen:
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

I have a really hacked up brute force program for elm327 but planned on writing on for a MDI, are you in a rush for this or is it a side project?

I am assuming Tazzi is gonna help you out, but he is busy with work and other projects, lol.. man gets no sleep!!!
julespatch

Post by julespatch »

The AVDI has elm mode and might work. I've got an old ELM thing around somewhere too.
I'm always in a rush haha. This is a customer's car the did mods on but didn't read the ecu first so yeah it's a bit important to unlock it or at least go straight over the top