GM E38 E67 E40 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
CoryR
cars: Y2 R8 Clubsport L77 T56
VY SS Wagon
01 Hilux 2wd 2.7 single cab daily

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by CoryR »

Has anyone used a china mini vci cable successfully with this program?
Also how do i go about getting a license? Happy to share my results
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

CoryR wrote:Has anyone used a china mini vci cable successfully with this program?
They don't work, I tried two.

A clone tactrix worked 50% of the time. :lol:
Not sure Id like those odds when trying to write though.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
CoryR
VY SS Wagon

Post by CoryR »

Tazzi wrote:
CoryR wrote:Has anyone used a china mini vci cable successfully with this program?
They don't work, I tried two.

A clone tactrix worked 50% of the time. :lol:
Not sure Id like those odds when trying to write though.
Alright so seems cheapest option would be the VxDiag Nano gds2?
And that would work with PCMhammer on a 411 pcm correct?
I looked up the clone GM MDIs but not keen on paying hundreds for something I’ll only use every now and then, but if the nano works for both I’ll be happy with that.

Are you taking payments for regular guys to use the software Tazzi? Weighing up the costs doing it all myself vs sending the e38 off for standalone programming, but I’d rather be able to do that and my other cars myself.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

CoryR wrote:Alright so seems cheapest option would be the VxDiag Nano gds2?
And that would work with PCMhammer on a 411 pcm correct?
I looked up the clone GM MDIs but not keen on paying hundreds for something I’ll only use every now and then, but if the nano works for both I’ll be happy with that.

Are you taking payments for regular guys to use the software Tazzi? Weighing up the costs doing it all myself vs sending the e38 off for standalone programming, but I’d rather be able to do that and my other cars myself.
VXdiag probably is.
Im working with PeteS to have a CANBus version of the OBDXPro up and running soon which will be by far the cheapest solution soon.

Not selling the software at this time as there is huge amounts of work to still go into it until Im satisfied its at a point to be used on such a commercial scale. Currently only regular contributors to pcmhacking are eligible for a free license.
CoryR
VY SS Wagon

Post by CoryR »

Tazzi wrote:VXdiag probably is.
Im working with PeteS to have a CANBus version of the OBDXPro up and running soon which will be by far the cheapest solution soon.

Not selling the software at this time as there is huge amounts of work to still go into it until Im satisfied its at a point to be used on such a commercial scale. Currently only regular contributors to pcmhacking are eligible for a free license.
Is that the Pro ONE that's in development? Any timeframe on that or too hard to say just yet?
Fair enough, think for now I'll see if a tuner can set the e38 up, if not send it to someone who can. I'll be keeping an eye on updates to both products for sure.
Snoman002
cars: 2005 Quadrasteer
2009 US Spec VXR8

Post by Snoman002 »

In-Tech wrote:
ironduke wrote:Neither of these are mine, I just find em and save em.. Need to find a better way of saving them though, here, there, and everywhere.. and a naming convention that makes sense, lol..
I feel ya, shoot I bet we all have file displacia (sp) :lol: They all started in one folder till that got crazy, then sorted by customer name, then customer name and vehicle type, then year/make/model/customer...now trying to include OS. It's a pain in the...organizing :wtf: :wall:
I'm working on getting things organized, there really needs to be a centralized community effort here.

https://github.com/Snoman002/Engine-Tun ... e-TunerCat - My attempt at getting something started, still looking for folks to contribute however.

If you have any e38 BINs (or any BINs really) I would happily process them into the repo to help grow this.
Snoman002
2009 US Spec VXR8

Post by Snoman002 »

Forgive me, I'm still not fully versed with all the tuning efforts out there.

My understanding is part of the effort into this is to allow essentially "mail in tuning" again, correct? Which is a fantastic idea frankly!

However, are there any tools available to do so? Although Tunerpro certainly exists, is there any XDF development happening around these ECUs? Although the other tools can import the BIN, they will save out in a proprietary format and thus prevent flashing back onto the ECU. How might one accomplish this tuning?
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Snoman002 wrote:Forgive me, I'm still not fully versed with all the tuning efforts out there.

My understanding is part of the effort into this is to allow essentially "mail in tuning" again, correct? Which is a fantastic idea frankly!

However, are there any tools available to do so? Although Tunerpro certainly exists, is there any XDF development happening around these ECUs? Although the other tools can import the BIN, they will save out in a proprietary format and thus prevent flashing back onto the ECU. How might one accomplish this tuning?
To create XDFs.. there a few options available:
1) Reverse engineer the actual firmware and understand/find the tables and parameters
2) Buy the information from ex engineers or people with the knowledge
3) Identify tables by using commercial tools to make changes, then read them out using other tools to begin building defs.

Option 1 is what most commercial places 'say' they do, which is bullshit. Option 2 is what usually occurs in big commercial companies, and option 3 is what most places/people do copying the companies which have bough the information.
Snoman002
2009 US Spec VXR8

Post by Snoman002 »

Tazzi wrote:
Snoman002 wrote:Forgive me, I'm still not fully versed with all the tuning efforts out there.

To create XDFs.. there a few options available:
1) Reverse engineer the actual firmware and understand/find the tables and parameters
2) Buy the information from ex engineers or people with the knowledge
3) Identify tables by using commercial tools to make changes, then read them out using other tools to begin building defs.

Option 1 is what most commercial places 'say' they do, which is bullshit. Option 2 is what usually occurs in big commercial companies, and option 3 is what most places/people do copying the companies which have bough the information.
I'm watching E38 development as I own a Pontiac G8, however I'm a little more versed in P59. I have yet to take a look at disassembling, and I expect its too much for me, but is there anything that works (or in the works) on the E38/E67s ?
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Snoman002 wrote: I'm watching E38 development as I own a Pontiac G8, however I'm a little more versed in P59. I have yet to take a look at disassembling, and I expect its too much for me, but is there anything that works (or in the works) on the E38/E67s ?
I have some interesting information donated over the course of the last year+.

Ill need to develop an application to analyse different operating systems in comparison to the factory definition set I have been provided to map out all the parameters and tables for each different OS.

So one day.. yes. But at the moment, Im so swapped with contract work that I barely even have the time to answer back to the 5 pending PMs in my account right now :shock: :? :lol: