GM E38 E67 E40 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by ironduke »

Have another success story for ya!!

Cloned a E38 from a 2009 Silverado vin 1GCEK29JX9Z265556 OS 12628982 to a 2013 Silverado vin 3GCPKTE7XDG230324 OS 12653674

Worked sweet!!! did a read and compare afterwards, exact match!!!
julespatch
cars: liberty gen 5

Post by julespatch »

Here's the 2 latest SPS files from this morning for the AAKC and YRPS.

I managed to really mess up the YRPS last night. Tried flashing a 2 bar OS and the thing went bonkers. Scrambled VIN, Serial... it wouldn't even detect the type of ECU. Managed to revive it with SPS again and it's now back to life :)
Attachments
2011 E38 AAKC OS 12639270 ORI.bin
(2 MiB) Downloaded 177 times
2008 L98 OS 1624402 YPRS ORI.bin
(2 MiB) Downloaded 167 times
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hi, thanks for posting. What vehicles/engines are these for?
julespatch

Post by julespatch »

2008 Holden VE SS Ute - L98 engine
2011 Holden VE SS Ute - L98/L76?? Not sure here.

I think that's right - starting to go in circles.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Heads up!

Seems my bench E67 is able to clone fine, but have had someone else have issues with clone as it could not erase the last block (Only the last block) which is part of the boot code of the ECU.
Now the reason I think mine works but not others, is I did the entire chip erase command on my E67 when first developing.

If the first block was locked, then this would have cleared that lock. Whereas in the application currently, it erases block by block. The Single block erases cannot clear a locked section as only an entire chip erase can.

Sooooo... on that note, I am going to get the app to not erase the boot section when doing a clone since boot sector seems to always be the same. It will start from the parameter section and proceed forward.

New version will be out later today.

*Edit
Also seems not all J tools can keep up with the speed. Reading with the E67 on a Mongoose cable, the mongoose actually misses some of the data. Will slightly bump up the delay between frames sent back in the kernel, and also add a setting for reading block sizes.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

What are your thoughts on trying this in a vehicle and not just bench testing?? Not in a rush by any means, but I might be temped to install one of my bench cloned E38's into my truck just to watch it go, lol..

Any thoughts on wireless with the MDI?? Have you tried it at all?? Maybe I'll start with just trying to read a couple times.. Shouldn't screw it up past anything a disconnect/reconnect won't fix up.. Even just writing calibrations is fixable at this point, I think...
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

ironduke wrote:What are your thoughts on trying this in a vehicle and not just bench testing?? Not in a rush by any means, but I might be temped to install one of my bench cloned E38's into my truck just to watch it go, lol..

Any thoughts on wireless with the MDI?? Have you tried it at all?? Maybe I'll start with just trying to read a couple times.. Shouldn't screw it up past anything a disconnect/reconnect won't fix up.. Even just writing calibrations is fixable at this point, I think...
Iv tested multiple times in vehicle. Has worked without any issues :thumbup:
Only done full read and cal write in car. But if it writes the cal, then theres no reason for OS+Cal to not work. Wouldnt do a clone until I do another update to the program for E67's.

I was going to do it in my own car and video the other day but my current ECU has buggered parameter section so I cant unlock it. Will see if SPS can make heads or tails of it today.

Next, no reason why wireless shoulnt work, its Bosch's DLL which handles all the communication to the device itself. Just keep in mind wireless MDI is using your routers wireless connection, it is not a direct communication between the MDI and PC if you are too far away from your router, you will lose connection.
julespatch

Post by julespatch »

Surely you would never go wireless when programming.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

julespatch wrote:Surely you would never go wireless when programming.
The kernel wont exit out until told to (or key down/power down). The application auto detects if the bootloader is still running and will not exit until it has completely written and verified :thumbup:

So.. even if wireless dropped out... it should be able to pickup and continue.

I did this with my mdi. I pulled it mid OS write. Closed application, reconnected and was able to write to the ecu again as it never exited the kernel :thumbup:

Some modules (Like E55) have their own internal kernel for flashing which I unfortunately cant control.. those kinds of ones you wouldn't want to risk something like that since they will exit and brick if tool loses communication.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Adding OS ID 12658778 to the list which is found in factory VF E38 V8's. :thumbup:

Update 1.0.3 will be later this afternoon.