GM E38 E67 E40 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
julespatch
cars: liberty gen 5

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by julespatch »

Thought I'd try a subscription....no good :(
Attachments
20200711_191515.jpg
20200711_191343.jpg
20200711_191302.jpg
20200711_191309.jpg
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

So for those that have been waiting for a while, I have added a few new OS's to the list. Found a few early VZ E38 OS's and a couple custom OS IDs to add in.

The J tool at hand can also play a roll. Seems some don't actually like sending a 4k payload or receiving 4k which results in failed communication during reading and writing.
Personally I have used a MDI, MD2 and VX nano, all work fine.

Had reports of some (most likely) knockoff devices being pretty sketchy.

Will be updating the installer by hopefully end of week. Just when I thought work couldnt get more busy, it has :wtf:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

If it hasn't been said enough... THANK YOU!!!!!!

Has anyone else been having repeatable issues reading in car?? I've been trying to read just about any E38 that comes in the shop just because and it's crashing every time trying in car, usually locks up the ECM so bad I need to unplug/ plug it in to get it to wake back up.. I can read/write on the bench all day long but in car it's a no go..

These are mostly trucks but tried a 2012 Camaro last week, twice.. Both times I had to power cycle the ECM just to get it back. Trying to get a log but it's so damn quick it's not easy.. Been working on making some logging software for the MDI, I can try that shortly..

In car not working is not a deal breaker, just be nice to be able to read and build up a collection so when someone is looking for something I might have it, lol..
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

ironduke wrote:If it hasn't been said enough... THANK YOU!!!!!!

Has anyone else been having repeatable issues reading in car?? I've been trying to read just about any E38 that comes in the shop just because and it's crashing every time trying in car, usually locks up the ECM so bad I need to unplug/ plug it in to get it to wake back up.. I can read/write on the bench all day long but in car it's a no go..

These are mostly trucks but tried a 2012 Camaro last week, twice.. Both times I had to power cycle the ECM just to get it back. Trying to get a log but it's so damn quick it's not easy.. Been working on making some logging software for the MDI, I can try that shortly..

In car not working is not a deal breaker, just be nice to be able to read and build up a collection so when someone is looking for something I might have it, lol..
Has to do with not waiting long enough for all the modules to go quiet. I think the latest version solves that as I can happily read and write in my own car :thumbup:
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

Tazzi wrote:
ironduke wrote:If it hasn't been said enough... THANK YOU!!!!!!

Has to do with not waiting long enough for all the modules to go quiet. I think the latest version solves that as I can happily read and write in my own car :thumbup:
Awesome!!!!! Looking forward to the update!!!
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

ironduke wrote:Awesome!!!!! Looking forward to the update!!!
If not, I might move the 'tester present' messages out of the kernel and back to the scantool. As it could also be not playing nicely in some cars.
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

used the app today to see what hpt was changing for a couple of parameters so i could add it into a cax file for efilive.

Saves me having to read a tune, modify it, then flash it with hpt then pull back out with efilive.
GeicoGecko
cars: LS2 Miata, LS3 RX8, L96 2500HD

Post by GeicoGecko »

Awesome work! I was completely consumed reading this thread. Can't wait to try it. I'm going to setup an E38 bench set. I've also got an E40 and E67. It sounds like the E40 is a bit of a problem so I'll ignore that for now.
Last edited by GeicoGecko on Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
cars: Z06

Post by Highlander »

Tre-Cool wrote:used the app today to see what hpt was changing for a couple of parameters so i could add it into a cax file for efilive.

Saves me having to read a tune, modify it, then flash it with hpt then pull back out with efilive.
What params are you adding?
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

Highlander wrote:
Tre-Cool wrote:used the app today to see what hpt was changing for a couple of parameters so i could add it into a cax file for efilive.

What params are you adding?
was for 12639270 OS.

just the fast torque exit options for fuel & spark.

you gave me the Inj Boundary Table a while ago for this one.