Bricked E38 ecu

Bosch Motronic etc ECUs and PCMs
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Bricked E38 ecu

Post by ironduke »

This is just a heads up in case anyone is bound and determined to get their E38 back to life because they were doing something stupid and bricked it.. This won't fix bad drivers chip or anything burnt, but if you goofed trying to flash it this does work..

https://www.usbjtag.com/phpbb3/viewtopi ... =10&t=9718

I saw it posted somewhere else, had a little extra to spend and I had this old E38 I screwed up that is just sitting there laughing at me.. It arrived yesterday, took about 6 days to get here and I just spent a few minutes hooking it up and other than 1 wire wrong( I messed up the Hreset wire it worked the first try..

It is a little difficult trying to play the video and pause it just right to see where the wires go, and my lighted magnifying lense on an adjustable arm is NOT near the computer screen, lol.. Ended up taking pics with my phone of the screen and walking over to the ECU and finding each wire one by one..

It does do other ECU's, but I don't know how many of them are automotive though.. It read the bricked ecu and I then wrote a good file to it, key cycled it and it reads perfect again.. I haven't done a compare yet to see what I screwed up, looks like most of the boot code is there..

Anyways, that's the heads up, if I can find a good pic of an E38 I might try marking the pic up to make it easier for next time, if I do I'll post it up here..
In-Tech

Re: Bricked E38 ecu

Post by In-Tech »

Hey Duke,
Good deal, I saw this a few days ago. I am curious if the usbbdm device they sell will work too or if we have to buy this new device. I'll reply here when I find out. I did take a bunch of screen shots of that video when it came out, if you have clearer instructions, that'd be cool :thumbup: I don't have any dead ones anymore but I'm sure it will happen :wall:
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

I just got off the phone with the gentleman that makes these devices, what an incredible guy. For now we will need to buy the new device to be able to do e38 and the rest of the newer stuff(mpc5xx). Also still will need to use the usbbdm for p01 and p59 type applications. Anyway, my brain is melted after that call, but it was great :thumbup:
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya ironduke and everyone,
I went ahead and ordered one of the new u-Link NT devices to check out, hopefully it will show later this coming week. I'm hoping to have some time to play with it then. When we talked on the phone he(usbjtag.com) showed some interest in getting into any of the other newer controllers too. I've got to step into the 21st century and get a camera and headset to converse more freely with people, like all you friendly folk too. I sometimes feel older and am still old school in a lot of things I do so I guess I better step up my walker :lol:
julespatch
cars: liberty gen 5

Post by julespatch »

wow thats pretty cool. pretty similar to the xprog setup i tried earlier in the year with help from Mohamad. sy
honestly though if i have gotten to that stage of a dead e38 i'd probably just get another one.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

julespatch wrote:wow thats pretty cool. pretty similar to the xprog setup i tried earlier in the year with help from Mohamad. sy
honestly though if i have gotten to that stage of a dead e38 i'd probably just get another one.
True, I've been grabbing E38's whenever I can, I have about half dozen of them now, lol.. But this one I screwed up so it was personal, lmao...