GM Can to ALDL

Madchuska
cars: Holden

Re: GM Can to ALDL

Post by Madchuska »

If you guys are talking about the little module to the lower left of the shifter thats the tach module mentioned in the initial image.
ben_att
cars: VF
VZ
VY

Post by ben_att »

Madchuska wrote:If you guys are talking about the little module to the lower left of the shifter thats the tach module mentioned in the initial image.
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, a Speedo/tacho corrector. Sort of looks like this.

I’ll let you know how he goes, so far he’s got the commands to my PIM sorted to get the dash to do what I need (eg. Cruise, fuel gauge, engine temp, so I’m guessing now he’s working on the interface side of it to pickup the VF GMLAN to rebroadcast the data that he knows needs to be sent.
Attachments
IMG_2758.jpeg
Madchuska
cars: Holden

Post by Madchuska »

ben_att wrote: I got onto a bloke near Newcastle who is much more forthcoming and not arrogant like the other bloke and does CAN conversions for LS motors into other cars, so I've sent him a BCM, PIM and Cluster, sounds promising. Will let you know how it goes.

Any progress on this?
ben_att
VZ
VY

Post by ben_att »

Madchuska wrote:
Any progress on this?

Yes, sounds like it’s mostly sorted, I asked I’m to try and add in the brake switch as I was having issues with the VF OS wanting to see the brake switch signal over can bus from the BCM even though it’s wired directly to the E38, when the ignition is on with engine not running I can press and release the pedal and I can see the state change in HP Tuners, but once I start it, it is ‘frozen’ in the last state prior to starting. The issue I found with this is the torque is very limited during acceleration, I turned off all the brake torque stuff in HP tuners and made a massive difference, but if that signal can be resolved I can re enable that stuff. He’s got it setup on a bench with a VZ PIM/BCM and cluster I sent him and he’s got majority of it working I’m told. Once he’s finished testing, he’ll send me the module and I’ll let you know how it goes, looking forward to getting this sorted out and it sounds very promising!

https://www.agtengineering.com.au/canbu ... -solutions

That’s his website for anyone interested.
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

Have you though about converting the tcm/ecu to a pre-vf os?

I do it all the time for swaps.
ben_att
VZ
VY

Post by ben_att »

Tre-Cool wrote:Have you though about converting the tcm/ecu to a pre-vf os?

I do it all the time for swaps.
I did look at this, but couldn’t see how I could make it work with the 6L80, I tried a VE OS in the E38 that worked with 6L80 but it wouldn’t talk to the VZ through the PIM. Is there a way to get the 6L80 ‘segment’ into the VZ OS or into the TCM so that it’ll communicate with the module inside the 6L80?
I wanted to avoid using one of those third party trans controllers, I thought I’d get better drivability out of it using a factory tune that’s specifically setup for the engine/trans combo rather than trying to make up something myself. It actually drives really well as is, just have the errors with the dash, no fuel/temp gauge, no A/C, no cruise, no reverse lights etc due to the interfacing, but this is nearly all resolved anyways. Once it’s all working in the one tonner, I’m looking at dropping one of these modules in my VZ L98 crewman to replace the tired old 4L60 with a 6L80 since this module will make it fairly easy since I can just load a new OS into it, get rid of the TCM and it’ll have all the factory functions working.
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

I meant dropping the e38 os to something in the 2010/2011 years. 12639270

same deal for the trans - 24256025 or 24256125.

you will still need the new pim module to translate late to early can for the dash to work.

For the L98 crewman, providing you use a trans os no later then 2009 year the tcm will atleast be using the same can protocal & be compatible.

I have been looking at trying to get find the relevant code to do this sort of swap, but since i no longer have an 06-l98 based car anymore i don't really want to go out and buy 1 just to work it out at my cost. lol
ben_att
VZ
VY

Post by ben_att »

Tre-Cool wrote:I meant dropping the e38 os to something in the 2010/2011 years. 12639270

same deal for the trans - 24256025 or 24256125.

you will still need the new pim module to translate late to early can for the dash to work.

For the L98 crewman, providing you use a trans os no later then 2009 year the tcm will atleast be using the same can protocal & be compatible.

I have been looking at trying to get find the relevant code to do this sort of swap, but since i no longer have an 06-l98 based car anymore i don't really want to go out and buy 1 just to work it out at my cost. lol
Yeah, if I still need a conversion box, there's no point using the older OS, might as well use the newer one.

But good news so far, I've received the first version of the CAN converter, it's a simple connection, IGN, GND, CANH/CANL it also has a output for the variable A/C Compressor but haven't connected that yet.
So far, temp gauge and fuel gauge working, alternator alert cleared, low oil cleared, check engine cleared, cruise control and A/C request work as normal through the PIM/Converter.
There's only minor things now to work out and should be all good to go, the gear selector position isn't shown on the dash which I'm assuming is stopping the PIM from outputting the reverse light relay, he's working on this.
This will make conversion for people wanting to fit the 6l80 or any version I'm assuming of newer GMLAN ECU's to old GMLAN so much easier especially being able to retain factory functionality. The PCM/PIM security link is most likely a no go, so probably best to sort out another immobiliser.
I still have a SVS on the dash, but this is an issue I'm hoping with not being able to clear a 'permanent' error on the ECU to do with fuel sender B as the VZ only has one sender instead of two that the VF's have. I have tried a few things here to get rid of it, paralleling doesn't work, seems to make them both drop out. I measured the resistance of the sender which is working and got a resistor of the same value to put onto the B input and this make the two signals drop off as well, it's a bit weird. Even if I mask the fault to not reported and change the fuel sender type to single, it's always looking for this fuel B for some reason. Either way, I'm hoping once this is cleared, the 'PCM DTC Status' changes from DTC's set to ok and it will drop the SVS request.
This was a cross 6 before, the ABS seems to be working again, I jacked the back up and it's still a single spinner at the moment, so one wheel starts to turn, I get a low traction alert on the dash and the ABS module brakes that wheel and the other starts to turn, initially it seemed that the ABS module was upset about not communicating properly to the ECU and I was getting ABS alerts on the dash, but I now have no faults in any system other than PIM/ECU which will hopefully be resolved soon.
Will update once all issues are resolved.
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

did u change the fuel sensor option from 2 to 1?
ben_att
VZ
VY

Post by ben_att »

Tre-Cool wrote:did u change the fuel sensor option from 2 to 1?
Sure did, but for some reason it still shows fuel sender B issues, it’s like it can’t be disabled, so have to mask the errors instead? Even after changing to single it would list the fault as current, pending, history, permanent. But then after resolving, current, pending and history go away, just stuck with the permanent so will have to keep driving it around in the hope it goes away soon.