Open source GM OBD2 flash tool using a ELM327 device

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
NSFW

Re: Open source GM OBD2 flash tool using a ELM327 device

Post by NSFW »

MudDuck514 wrote:NSFW,

Thanks for that information. I just happened to run across that link earlier this evening. Will need to take a laptop to my friends house in order to download it! DON'T think I want to use my cellphone data for that.
Good to know it will work for this project. BTW, did you install the C++ Version or another one as there seems to be several option(other than downloading the FULL app package).

Mike
Yeah, cellphone is not the right tool for downloading VS. :) You only need C# and Windows Forms but that's still going to be huge by cellphone standards.

You might be able to build it using VS Code, which is smaller... but I think you'd be the first person to try that, so I can't promise.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Chuff wrote:I'm happy to set up a VM for Windows (probably Win7), but that still leaves me short as I don't have visual studio.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
There's a free version of VS now, I posted a link to it a few messages ago. But if you aren't planning to work on the code, you might as well wait for a pre-built version. As Antus said, the app isn't doing anything very useful yet. It's just doing some basic communication with the PCM at this point.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

NSFW,

While I have an unlimited data plan, and have consistently used 40-60 GB a month, I don't want to try downloading 35+ all at once AND use the other amount.
I DON'T need them terminating my service! As I said, I DO have other options though, including the local public library.

I am not a programmer as of yet, but I am learning and THIS really has my interest so I feel this would help me learn HOW to do the type of programming that would have some real world benefit to me and others with a shared interest. DON'T worry, I have NO interest in trying to make a commercial application - only for MY own personal use! Besides, one day I may be able to contribute something that would benefit all of the others that are working on this.

Mike
Chuff

Post by Chuff »

antus wrote:It was a while ago when i bought mine. I would expect that link to take you in to paypay to confirm and you should be able to select USD. So i'd start at 35 and make sure its USD and take it from there. Note that it doesnt mention post costs either. Finally ask if it ships with firmware 1.17 for 4x vpw, incase he has older stock. Let us know how you go!
OK, so I just ordered an Allpro Adapter USB.

At the base of this page (http://www.obddiag.net/products.html) just above the "Using Paypal" heading there's a link to email obddiagn@obddiag.net for shipping costs other than USA & Canada. I emailed Alex requesting shipping on an Allpro Adapter USB & he replied back that the total amount will be $41US, so I entered $41 in the Amount field on his webpage. The notes field didn't allow much of an entry so I left it blank and proceeded to Paypal hoping I could add notes there. I clicked "Send Payment" & I was taken to Paypal. Paypal accepted the amount as $41US and handled the conversion from US to AUD. I couldn't find anywhere within Paypal to add notes so I just completed the transaction, got my Paypal receipt number and replied back to his email stating the Paypal receipt number and noting that I needed the adapter to have firmware 1.17 for 4x vpw installed.

Hopefully it all goes well & the adpter has the correct firmware installed. I'll let you know when it gets here.

Chuff
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

MudDuck514 wrote:I am not a programmer as of yet, but I am learning and THIS really has my interest so I feel this would help me learn HOW to do the type of programming that would have some real world benefit to me and others with a shared interest. DON'T worry, I have NO interest in trying to make a commercial application - only for MY own personal use! Besides, one day I may be able to contribute something that would benefit all of the others that are working on this.
Reading code from a project you're interested in is a good way to learn. The learning curve might be a little steep at first though if you're not already familiar with C# or programming concepts in general, so be ready spend some time ramping up on that stuff if you haven't already.

It would take a lot of work to turn this project into a commercial product, so that's not something I worry about. You'd be competing with software that we're giving away for free, so it will be pretty hard to charge money for the same thing. :)
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all;
I have a couple of quick questions.

1) Is this app (and interface) going to be usable with the Vortec PCM?
I have 2 0411 PCM's - 1 from a 2001 GMC Jimmy SLT with the 4.3l V6, and the other from a 2001 Chevy Blazer LS 4.3l V6.
If so, the I HOPE I can swap one of them into my 1998 Blazer in place of the "Black Box" PCM .

2) any chance it will support the 98+ Vortec "Black Box" PCM?
I know Dimented24x7 had created a flash tool for the "Black Box" PCM, just don't know if anyone felt like including a means to do the same in this app.

Mike
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

At this stage we are just looking to support the '0411. When that works out we'll likely move on to the 1 mbyte PCMs. From there, who knows, black box is a possibility but its a long way down the road and I wouldnt like to say we'll get there for sure.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
160plus

Post by 160plus »

MudDuck514 wrote:Hi all;
I have a couple of quick questions.

I have 2 0411 PCM's - 1 from a 2001 GMC Jimmy SLT with the 4.3l V6, and the other from a 2001 Chevy Blazer LS 4.3l V6.
If so, the I HOPE I can swap one of them into my 1998 Blazer in place of the "Black Box" PCM .

Mike
Yes the 512K or 1mb can be used in place of the "Black Box" pcm with out any issues. You can repin the existing black box harness to the LS1B connectors OR you can build a plug in adapter using the connector bodies from a black box pcm wired to the LS 80 way connectors so there is no permanent changes to the harness....however it does require destroying a block box pcm for the connector bodies if you go that route. You can PM me if you'd like more info on this, I've done it both ways.
Chuff

Post by Chuff »

Just updating my purchase of an Allpro Adapter USB. Placed the order last Wednesday and it arrived today. 7 days from USA to my door. Perfect!! :thumbup:

Nice looking bit of kit but I'm not sure what firmware it has installed.

How do I check the firmware version of the adapter using Linux? I can see it loading up as /dev/ttyUSB0 but I've had no luck connecting to the device.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

ATI returns an elm version (ficticious) and AT#1 returns the allpro version.

https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/ ... ice.cs#L64
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396