Open source GM OBD2 flash tool using a ELM327 device

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Open source GM OBD2 flash tool using a ELM327 device

Post by antus »

The timeout issues have been resolved! My development version just read its first PCM via an allpro with stock allpro firmware v1.21. The timings are slack and the read process was slow, so next point of call is some fine tuning to get the speeds up where they should be.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
madmaxisback
cars: VN Calais
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

This is awesome! Well done to everyone working on this! I am following along here and via project updates. :thumbup:
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

MudDuck514 wrote:I am guessing that when the time comes to move on to the next PCM the Hardware will be able to support it?
i.e. Blackbox PCM using J1850VPW, and the newer PCM's using CANBUS.
Probably, but with with that sort of thing you don't really know until you actually try.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
160plus

Post by 160plus »

Cross platform flashing will be a thing now thanks to help from Antus and NSFW. Antus has been answering my questions for almost a year now and I'm running his flash kernel. NSFW created the program I've been using to test my data against making sure I was getting accurate results. Android as a flash tool is no longer just an idea....it's now a real tool.

MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Great job Pete!

I have a couple of questions about the setup shown in the video: are you running separate devices for the laptop and phone, or using one device with two interfaces i.e usb AND bluetooth at the same time?
And, what app is running on the laptop?

Mike
160plus

Post by 160plus »

MudDuck514 wrote:Great job Pete!

I have a couple of questions about the setup shown in the video: are you running separate devices for the laptop and phone, or using one device with two interfaces i.e usb AND bluetooth at the same time?
And, what app is running on the laptop?

Mike
I have an USB FTDI tied into the Rx/Tx lines Of the Allpro. On the computer there is no program running, it's just a serial terminal that streams the data creating a log I can go back though if something were to go wrong and I need to see what happened. It also lets me copy/paste data I read and compare it with other tools to make sure I'm getting all the bytes and they were coming though in the correct order. In the App it self every time it sends the 3F it clears the log....it was a huge memory hog to keep the entire file visible and it's already saving data to the phone so writing a debug log so to speak was out of the question.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

The current state of the Windows app, running against a PCM on my desk:

https://youtu.be/jn7YkZcD_mo

A complete read of the PCM takes about 8 minutes using the USB version of the AllPro adapter. We can probably shave a couple minutes off of that time, but at this point I mostly just want it to work in an actual car. Every time I've tried that so far it has failed for one reason or another... It's getting closer though.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
osx86ftw
cars: 1987 Porsche 944 5.3 swapped

Post by osx86ftw »

NSFW wrote:The current state of the Windows app, running against a PCM on my desk:

https://youtu.be/jn7YkZcD_mo

A complete read of the PCM takes about 8 minutes using the USB version of the AllPro adapter. We can probably shave a couple minutes off of that time, but at this point I mostly just want it to work in an actual car. Every time I've tried that so far it has failed for one reason or another... It's getting closer though.
Sweet! :punk: Just out of curiosity, why would it fail in vehicle but work on the test bench?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

More traffic on the bus causing collisions or unexpected responses, and when retried, affecting timings. The app logic needs to keep in sync with the PCM and VPW bus in general and if your code cant handle all the possibilities or if it needs to talk to a module in the vehicle that is not on your test bench (so that it behaves itself during the process) things can break.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
osx86ftw
cars: 1987 Porsche 944 5.3 swapped

Post by osx86ftw »

Bad ass. I'll have to make myself a bench harness.