GM Can to ALDL

ben_att
cars: VF
VZ
VY

Re: GM Can to ALDL

Post by ben_att »

Has anyone had anything to do with Ultimate conversion wiring?
Seems adamant that he has got the VF OS ECU to work with a VZ dash even though no one else that I have spoken to can. The VZ dash does not have discrete wiring for the fuel gauge, temp gauge, alternator fault, oil pressure etc where as the VY dash has some of those things inputted via discrete signals, it needs to be communicated via the single wire from the PIM which interprets from the two wire GMLAN. The PIM doesn’t like the VF OS, I have tried V6 and V8 PIMS, all different types of eeprom configurations and no success.
I know I’ve got some spelling mistakes and probably used the wrong words in some instances, but most people will know what I’m saying in the below screen shots.
He seems to think that a loom will fix the communication issues however I can’t see how this is possible unless someone else here can confirm?
Attachments
IMG_2235.png
IMG_2236.png
IMG_2237.jpeg
IMG_2238.png
IMG_2239.png
IMG_2242.png
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It sounds like one of their customers claimed they did it, but they don't know how, and they just do looms. Did the customer get it working? 100%? We'll never know. Perhaps not, unless they made their own PIM replacement.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ben_att
VZ
VY

Post by ben_att »

Hmmm, some further communication…..
Attachments
IMG_2256.jpeg
IMG_2258.png
IMG_2259.png
IMG_2260.png
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BxjR8hFD1c[/youtube]

Interesting...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
ben_att
VZ
VY

Post by ben_att »

It is, isn't it? I messaged him back for a price for the special wiring that can somehow make it work but he hasn't responded yet, I do like the 'we're all narrow minded', but can't explain how he did it other than it's just wiring and no interfaces/conversion units required. The thing I find most concerning about sending him money to build a loom is I just can't see how wires can make the PIM understand the VF OS or get ALDL data to the cluster.
Out of curiosity I got a VZ cluster out and fired it up, I tried applying 12V and ground to all the pins that have no assignment on the schematics and got nothing.
I also tried using a resistor across each of those pins to ground and to 12V as I know with the VY cluster if I apply 12 or gnd to the fuel gauge input it doesn't move, needs to measure a resistance and still nothing.
So I thought maybe he had found some pins on the cluster that could be used for those signals and just pickup the senders/sensors directly to the dash, but that's a no go either.
The only other thing I can think of is he's either modified the PIM code to be able to read the CAN data from the VF ECU OS or he's modified something in the VF ECU to send out messages the VZ PIM can interpret, in any case, happy to pay him to do it, but without being able to be forthcoming with anything other than 'it's the loom', which doesn't seem possible makes it hard to trust that he's the real deal.
Last edited by ben_att on Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ben_att
VZ
VY

Post by ben_att »

Well maybe he can’t do it after all :roll:
Attachments
IMG_2271.png
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

There’s a lot of things to take into consideration here.

There could be a specific OS and setup which may work with custom programmed VZ parts.
Without obviously breaking it all down and working out all the CAN ids needed to the PIM and those output by the VF ecu to compare, it’s not something that can be explicitly ruled out.

It could also be that the VF ecu has had OS alterations or other engineering level alterations to change these IDs to match what the car requires (this is what I would look into if I was contracted if not building a conversion box).
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya folks,
I am wanting to do an e67 and t43 to a 2003 chevy truck and dash so I will be experimenting in a couple months.
There is some serial data coming from the e67 but not sure how much.
E67x1.jpg
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

I deal with Justin all the time, he definitely isn't a bullshit guy. but what he is saying he has working is a E67 in that vz. completely different from your situation wanting it to work with the e38. the e67 still had the earlier can or serial support can't remember which.
VZ dash had fuel level come via can, VY was still hard wire.

I have a vy running a e38/6l80 combo, i had everything working except for coolant temp so i put in a powertune dash cluster.
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

In-Tech wrote:Hiya folks,
I am wanting to do an e67 and t43 to a 2003 chevy truck and dash so I will be experimenting in a couple months.
There is some serial data coming from the e67 but not sure how much.
E67x1.jpg

That pin will not help you at all, First I though it was some low speed CAN, but when I investigate further, it is some simple signal to wake some modules. To use vpw dash with CAN pcm, you will need at least CAN ->VPW converter box that will translate messages between modules. Not sure if it exist. Or use a pcm that can talk both vpw and CAN as e40 for example.