GM Can to ALDL

Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

GM Can to ALDL

Post by Tre-Cool »

So after converting my vy ute to a ls3/6l80e combo it has a few little items left that would make the whole she-bang factory spec and so I was wondering if anyone was aware of or would have the know how to make a device that could do the following:

Read GM Can data & convert it to ALDL for VY-VZ dash clusters - mainly interested in engine coolant temp being transmitted

Read ALDL to transmit CAN data for cruise control features - not even sure if this is possible, but i was thinking/hoping that you could use the signals from the bcm to send to the ecu. (Might be able to use same commands ve bcm sends)

Read GM Can data & trigger a relay output (found a lingenfelter device that can do this) -useful for it to listen to the prndl signal and trigger output when reverse is engaged.

Not sure if there would be a big market for something like this as it would mainly be something for the people doing conversions etc and you could use the factory dash clusters from the vy-vz.

Anyone?
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: GM Can to ALDL

Post by Dylan »

Just a thought I wonder if a factory PIM could work for this?
It's basically what they do on the earlier model's LS1
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

This is a great start, lots of great info and suggested tools

http://opengarages.org/handbook/
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
UCMatt
cars: VE Sportwagon
VYExec
VN V8 UC Torana Hatch

Post by UCMatt »

A 6l VZ PIM should just about do it.
Interfaces the E38 to an ALDL VZ dash. You could probably even get it all linked properly to provide anti theft features.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Is the VZ dash still ALDL based?
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Yeah, VZ dash is ALDL Based.

The E38 with VZ 6L PIM should do the job. Not sure if the linking will actually work.. and the VZ 6L PIM is expecting an E40.. but I believe the factory broadcast information transmitted by the E38/E40 should match up meaning the PIM will transmit this to the cluster over ALDL.

Other the other bits and bobs would require a custom interface to be able to do that, well, at least to control a relay from detecting specific command/status.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

sorry probably should of mentioned I already have the vz pim wired in. well i did.

As im using a later model e38/t43 combo (2010) when i plug in the uart wire the dash starts getting crap data, so i get all sorts of errors coming up. If i use an earlier 06 model ecu the cluster is fine.

Apparently gm changed the can protocol from the early to late can stuff. Which is why you cant use an early e38 with a late 09+ t43 trans controller.

Fucking GM...

I guess what i really need would be for someone to rewrite the code in the existing vz pim to work with the later v2 can data. Seeing as the it already has the cruise control wiring too. I'm guessing the vz stuff must of gone straight from the cruise stalk switch to the pim and not the bcm (or both).
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

What sort of crap data do you mean? Can you be a little more specific on exactly what pops up, what does work and what doesnt?

It could be a matter of having a middle man device to block/accept certain CAN commands, or slightly alter the headers ect.

Also means a bit of R&D to work out the difference in broadcast information between the 06 and 10 units.

Its easier to develop a custom interface than it is to try reverse engineer/rewrite the PIM firmware.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

for starters the coolant temp says 230 degrees when i look at the engineering side, & it sets off the check engine fault. its been a few weeks since i first played with it. If i get time on the weekend i'll plug the uart line back in and see what it does.

Will double check the early ecu again too.

the pim isn't really doing much imo apart from transmitting the ect, the tacho and speedo come directly from the e38 ecu. Had to fudge the ppk count down to the lowest limit the aapl software would go (3000) & then again fudge the shit out of the ecu speedo output pulse to get the speedo to line up with the trans vss. unfortunatly the e38 then reads the speedo higher then the trans, yet my tacho is fine. lol

I can get some pics & video of it if anyones keen to see how the steering wheel tapshift works.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Rather than stuffing around with developing a custom code that may never get used by anyone, wouldn't it just be easier to use a pre 2009 e38 & throttle body/pedal to suit it & then job is done?