antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Open Source Hardware

Post by antus »

Wow, open source hardware and software with J2534 support and all protocols were likely to want/need? Good work. Looking forward to the firmware release. Do you have an expected price for what you'll be selling pre-made hardware for?

It should just work for vpw reading and (soon) writing with our open source flash tool here, which does support J2534. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1566&start=340#p87571

Its a work in progress, but certainly getting there.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Nice! Do you know of any retail vendors for assembled boards?
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Awesome is an understatement
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
beyerch
cars: all kinds

Post by beyerch »

Some answers to questions:

- Cost (my) assembled in a small quantity is going to be somewhere around $75-$100 w/o enclosure. Large quantities should be in $50 - $75 range.
- If I go through the trouble of bulk ordering (e.g. putting money down, etc.) I'm going to charge a little more than my cost to recoup that, etc. Would guess ~$150. Way cheaper than anything else and you'll be able to custom your firmware,
etc. If there is interest, let me know and I'll get that ball rolling. I already have a relationship with a assembly house so can move relatively quickly on this.
- In regards to enclosures, have a design, but didn't put down the cash to get the molds made yet. (got busy with other projects) Can post files and if you have 3d printer, you can probably print your own or just use a hobby enclosure....

NOTE - Cost is definitely relative as well. If you don't need BT, for instance, can shave a bunch of cost off the interface. Since plan are posted, you can revise however, you want as well!

- The firmware I'm going to put out will have support for USB, VPW, and CAN (GMLAN). Didn't get around to BT as all of our dev work was via USB (more convenient) SD CARD is currently disabled as we were having some odd issue with USB
and it wasn't a priority for us to spend much time on SD card. A2D should be working. Anyone good with firmware who wants to work on features is more than welcome, will post that code as well.

- J2534 driver is "working" and have tested on TIS2WEB and DPS for VPW and CAN, though it operates on the slower side. It is alpha/sloppy code and the performance issue is in the driver and is definitely correctable. (e.g. if I natively program an ECU via the interface's command and response, it is quite fast)

- Why? Was going to just release a full on commercial product, but I have a good day job and make enough $. May still "sell" portions of things, but figure I have so much stuff that I don't have the time to get to that I might as well open it up for other people. With that said, I fully expect people to help each other out and not try to take advantage, especially when I start putting tuning info out. Already enough tHieves making a Profit in The tUNing markEt by buRning thoSe willing to help others. If people pitch in, help out, and share to improve the open source stuff, I'll keep helping.
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

interested
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

definitely interested
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Would love to see how you have implemened the firmware. I couldnt find anything about how to add J2534 compliant firmware in any technical documents. If I can see how its being handled, can easily add in GMUART (ALDL) which would need 3pins from the processor, and about small components added to the board.. 5 if including a SSR to switch between two selectable pins.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

That'd be nice. And if it could support the J2534 D-PDU specification then it'd support tech2win which would support a lot of older GM cars as well. Although I do expect that would be no small task. The price is right as it'd undercut the MDI clones, and at the same time be supporting community minded people with a 100% legit product. Excellent.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
beyerch
cars: all kinds

Post by beyerch »

After suffering to get the J2534 working, the PDU won't be a big deal. It is essentially just another API to implement which essentially performs the same sort of tasks, but with different methods / return values, etc. Increment effort. Would make sense to get J2534 cleaned up first from a performance perspective and then implement that.

ALDL - No issue with adding it on my end. I don't know a ton about the standard so would need firmware help, etc. I could actually use this for some of my projects anyway as some of the modules are talking ALDL, etc.